Change Hop profile after changing chilling methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westwardclock

Reaction score
Could there be a significant change in hop profile if someone went from an immersion chiller to a counterflow or plate chiller.

In the instance of the immersion chiller the wort almost immediately cools to a point where late additions should not convert to buttering hops.
With the other 2 methods, depending on how fast you can drain wort, the remaining wort in the kettle is at near boiling until its drained out. Sometimes up to 30 minutes could elapse. At that temperature I'm thinking that late addition hops are being converted to bittering more so than say the immersion method.

I'm curious if 2 identical recipes, with the exception of cooling methods, were made side by side would the hop profile in the end be decernable? Or negligible?

You could probably tell the difference, assuming the beer had a lot of late hops. In something like a stout, or a dopplebock where you only use 60 minute hops usually, then there would be no differences. An IPA with 4 ounces of hops at flame out would be something that would show differences.

Everybody's system is a bit different, so while I might do a hopstand for 30 minutes at 160, others may not. Often, a hopstand is written into the recipe, though so if you're following a recipe and they don't specify, I'd assume that the wort was immediately chilled.

I imagine it might change depending how long it takes to empty your kettle. That's the idea behind a long hop stand or adjusting you hopping schedule for no-chill, isn't it? Longer times at different temps affect the hop profile.

I do no-chill, so I have no idea how long plate/counter-flow chillers take to empty out the kettle.

Back