Champagne yest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a lot of champagne yeast. I have a feeling you should get something appropriate for a belgian.

I have a feeling that the champagnes dry the beer out a tad.

Champagne yeast attenuated down pretty far for a beer yeast. Most Belgian yeasts can handle 1.1 and above starting gravities, and will attenuate down to around 1.015. Plus a lot of the character for the style you are looking for comes from those Belgian yeast strains. They produce a clove, orange, peppery, and citrusy note. I'm not sure you would get that with the champagne yeast. I use champagne yeast in my mead, but that's after 25 lbs of wild flower honey and a lot of aeration. I like a really dry mead. I am one of those who feel sweet and alcohol do not mix.

What if i was to use champagne yest on a dark triple Belgium?

A belgian (ESPECIALLY a tripel) is not a belgian without belgian yeast. It's almost the defining characteristic of the beer. You'd end up with barley champagne, which will definitely be beer, but it won't be a tripel. Likely to be very dry.

LIke others have mentioned, you won't get the same character as from a Belgian yeast. However, I disagree that it will be drier. The Champagne yeast cannot metabolize any more sugars than most other yeast strains can (in fact, I'm pretty sure lager yeast can metabolize more). Champagne (and other wines) are drier than beers because they have more fermentable sugars, not because of the yeast. Champagne yeast is a great yeast because it can tolerate high alcohol levels, low pH, and low nutrient levels (conditions that other yeast have difficulty with), but it will not dry out your beer (unless you are comparing it to a low-attenuating British strain).

Latest posts

Back