Cause for concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
View media item 70279
Is it just yeast? This was racked into this 1-gal carboy about a week ago. My first batch so wasn’t sure if this is normal.

Full disclosure: as it is my first batch, I misunderstood the use of campden tablets prior to pitching yeast and this batch was pitched without using them. I used a little over a pound of blueberries, 3# honey, yeast energizer, and peptic enzyme in the primary. It fermented without a problem for a week as I degassed 3 times thru the week by stirring lightly. Everything was sanitized before anything came in contact with the mead.

View media item 70279
Is it just yeast? This was racked into this 1-gal carboy about a week ago. My first batch so wasn’t sure if this is normal.

Full disclosure: as it is my first batch, I misunderstood the use of campden tablets prior to pitching yeast and this batch was pitched without using them. I used a little over a pound of blueberries, 3# honey, yeast energizer, and peptic enzyme in the primary. It fermented without a problem for a week as I degassed 3 times thru the week by stirring lightly. Everything was sanitized before anything came in contact with the mead.
How does it smell? Is there is an off smell?

IMG_20190513_175650.jpg This is watermelon. With a lot of organic material still in it. Once I strained it all that went away. My guess is it's your berries.

Id siphon that out asap. I work in a lab and that has the look of infection. If its nothing, its still better to be safe and get it out.

Latest posts

Back