Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's this pretty little lady's 2nd birthday today. She was about 6mo when we adopted her.
16167991331771579781029685849605.jpg

Who's not being tormented by the 17yo who's been in our house since 2008 who had a stroke two years ago (around the same time our other long time cat was dying of cancer, a few months after we had to say goodbye we adopted the little demon above) and is a little extra special these days.
16167992885014131842553941149741.jpg

Today was a beautiful day, Mr Poo ... a beautiful day.

It's Good Friday and the sun is shining, maybe just a bit too brightly, but it's warm and springtime.
It's unfortunate you had to go today around 3PM. We've had 15 years and I've pulled you from trouble, traps, nippy dogs, and a handful of ticks along the way. The last few months have been tough, but that's over now, so take a nap or maybe have a snack.
We'll be along to visit in no time.

Say ... did I mention today was a beautiful day?

beaut.jpg

Gratuitous dog pic in the Cat Thread. Can't resist.
Meet Mochi, the Siberian-Malamute mix.

October 3, 2020 ... a bit over 5lbs.
mochbef.jpg

March 15, six months later.
Over 50lbs. and stealing the Black Hole of Comfort

mochaf.jpg

As the pup grew, The Old Gray Man in my avatar grew smaller. Kitty suffered from a intestinal disorder that made him even more hungry as he got progressively thinner over the course of several months. I call it the long goodbye as I watched him fade away from his former size and self. It was an everyday occurrence to find him peering at me in the wee hours of the morning, beggaring for food. Thankfully, for him that's over now.
He lost the will to play but not the urge to be nosy or hunt, that was too well ingrained. He was never de-clawed as I felt it was akin to cutting off fingertips and mangling what Nature intended, even as he got naughty and shredded things.
He always loved to sniff the wind and feel the Sun. It's something to appreciate, and maybe that's one of the simple lessons the small souls are here to teach us along the way. I still expect to find him peering at me from around the corner, but I know better. We will cremate Poo Monday. Sleep tight, Old Man.

Last edited:
Today was a beautiful day, Mr Poo ... a beautiful day.

It's Good Friday and the sun is shining, maybe just a bit too brightly, but it's warm and springtime.
It's unfortunate you had to go today around 3PM. We've had 15 years and I've pulled you from trouble, traps, nippy dogs, and a handful of ticks along the way. The last few months have been tough, but that's over now, so take a nap or maybe have a snack.
We'll be along to visit in no time.

Say ... did I mention today was a beautiful day?

View attachment 724288

Cheers buddy, will have one for that beautiful guy this evening.

Gratuitous dog pic in the Cat Thread. Can't resist.
Meet Mochi, the Siberian-Malamute mix.

October 3, 2020 ... a bit over 5lbs.
View attachment 724342

March 15, six months later.
Over 50lbs. and stealing the Black Hole of Comfort

View attachment 724343

As the pup grew, The Old Gray Man in my avatar grew smaller. Kitty suffered from a intestinal disorder that made him even more hungry as he got progressively thinner over the course of several months. I call it the long goodbye as I watched him fade away from his former size and self. It was an everyday occurrence to find him peering at me in the wee hours of the morning, beggaring for food. Thankfully, for him that's over now.
He lost the will to play but not the urge to be nosy or hunt, that was too well ingrained. He was never de-clawed as I felt it was akin to cutting off fingertips and mangling what Nature intended, even as he got naughty and shredded things.
He always loved to sniff the wind and feel the Sun. It's something to appreciate, and maybe that's one of the simple lessons the small souls are here to teach us along the way. I still expect to find him peering at me from around the corner, but I know better. We will cremate Poo Monday. Sleep tight, Old Man.

That hits home. Aforementioned cat we lost to cancer a couple years ago developed an aggressive tumor on the base of her tongue. Vet said there was nothing we could do apart from pain meds (removal would have required the whole tongue which wasn't an option and this kind of cancer any other treatment would probably only make her far more uncomfortable while only slightly prolonging the inevitable). She was still a cuddler to the very end while we watched her wither away over several months as it got more painful to eat as pain meds got less effective and she lost use of her tongue. At the end she was screaming for food but she just couldn't eat it any more. We and the vet had to say it was time.

My niece only met her a few times but adored her. She got a little kitty stuffed animal that went by the same name (and looked a lot like her too). Earlier this year she gave that little stuffed animal to us saying she hoped it reminded us of her. One of the sweetest things I think I've ever experienced. It lives on top of the wooden urn holding her ashes.

She went by many names (as all of our cats do). We adopted her as Chloe, but was never that. The enduring one was Mrrrrrrr (what my neice called her) after the excited chirp she'd make when you called her.

One of my male cats - Mr. Poo's littermate Mario - would carry small stuffed toys around and call to me in the wee hours of the night. He'd leave his toy calling cards on the rug near the bed or on the bed itself. There was one particular stuffed toy Mario would leave for me, and oddly enough, it's a Husky Beanie.
Yeah, I kept the Beanie. It's a sentimental thing but oddly comforting to have.

Awwwww...so sorry for the kitty losses and know it all too well. Last one we had to make that decision was Lucky, who as a feral kitten survived a trip through the fan belt of my truck - hence the name, plus she was solid black - she made it to 22 years old. She and her littermate ToTo, who got kidney cancer at 16, and my old girl Miss Kitty who made it to 15, plus my 12 year old Rottie Fritzi are all in wooden urns. We need to find a great place for them in our new yard where they can RIP forever.

We have two now that we adopted from the SPCA 12 years ago - they were thought to be between one and two years old at that time, so they are 13-14 now. Sad that they don't last forever but they bring such joy into our worlds in their short lifetimes that we are willing to deal with the inevitable when it comes time!

my oldest is going on 17, he can still giddy up when he wants to but I see age catching up with him. Not looking forward to that day...

We had to switch up some food and chewy is the only easy source. They sent us a birthday coupon and my wife bought this scratcher. Needless to say, it’s been a hit. Edgar/Egger is glued to this thing in the morning sun and we are debating a second one for the higher jumping tiger.View attachment 724896View attachment 724895
With the look on the face of the ginger below, who I assume is the higher jumping tiger, a second one is being demanded.

My wife wrote this bc I couldn't really get it right (for facebook). Stolen and reposting here

Five years ago, Mike and I realized a cat was living under our porch.

Mike and I take care of a lot of stray cats, feral cats, and some neighborhood cats. We give them all nicknames. We feed them, we worry about them, we report sightings and activity to each other.

It’s important for couples to have a shared hobby.

Every once in a while, one of the cats works its way into our hearts a little deeper than the others. Lily was one of those.

It took six months to earn her trust, coax her inside and get her to the vet. Once inside, Lily turned into a lap cat. She drooled when you pet her. She purred so loudly you could hear her from across the room. She wrapped herself around our ankles so fiercely that putting on socks and shoes became a dangerous feat of balance and acrobatic ability.

A few weeks ago, we found a small lump on the bridge of her nose. Our vet was amazing, but the cancer was extremely aggressive and moved through her tiny body like a freight train. There was nothing anyone could do for her but keep her comfortable and wait.

This morning, Lily fell asleep in Mike’s arms, just like she had a thousand times before, but this time she left her pain with us and moved on.

So, if you are lucky enough to have a Lily of your own at home, please give them an extra scratch, an extra treat, an extra beat of your time tonight, for our under the porch and under our feet angel. We will miss her always.

Lily.jpg

While horribly overcarbed this batch, this is Harry. My first cat. And in his honor, I try to have this anytime one of us loses a feline friend so this is for her.

B469CFD4-78D4-43E6-BBA3-8CA2B922B1E7.jpeg

My wife wrote this bc I couldn't really get it right (for facebook). Stolen and reposting here

Five years ago, Mike and I realized a cat was living under our porch.

Mike and I take care of a lot of stray cats, feral cats, and some neighborhood cats. We give them all nicknames. We feed them, we worry about them, we report sightings and activity to each other.

It’s important for couples to have a shared hobby.

Every once in a while, one of the cats works its way into our hearts a little deeper than the others. Lily was one of those.

It took six months to earn her trust, coax her inside and get her to the vet. Once inside, Lily turned into a lap cat. She drooled when you pet her. She purred so loudly you could hear her from across the room. She wrapped herself around our ankles so fiercely that putting on socks and shoes became a dangerous feat of balance and acrobatic ability.

A few weeks ago, we found a small lump on the bridge of her nose. Our vet was amazing, but the cancer was extremely aggressive and moved through her tiny body like a freight train. There was nothing anyone could do for her but keep her comfortable and wait.

This morning, Lily fell asleep in Mike’s arms, just like she had a thousand times before, but this time she left her pain with us and moved on.

So, if you are lucky enough to have a Lily of your own at home, please give them an extra scratch, an extra treat, an extra beat of your time tonight, for our under the porch and under our feet angel. We will miss her always.

View attachment 726353

While horribly overcarbed this batch, this is Harry. My first cat. And in his honor, I try to have this anytime one of us loses a feline friend so this is for her.

View attachment 726354
Beautifully written. I’m sorry to hear of another feline loss. We try to throw a little dry kibble at some strays in the winters, but it’s be impossible to keep taking them in like you do. The world needs more people like you two.

Beautifully written. I’m sorry to hear of another feline loss. We try to throw a little dry kibble at some strays in the winters, but it’s be impossible to keep taking them in like you do. The world needs more people like you two.

Thanks. We still have four. Two came from various backyards, and the other two are from rescues.

May need more if I dream up new beer recipes though...

Went out of town Saturday into Sunday, and forgot to close the windows (when it's nice we usually leave em cracked).

When we came home, a paw-sized hole in a window screen with some feathers stuck to it.

We're still trying to find where the young one may have hidden a dead pigeon.

(Though the lack of blood suggests she failed to nick a birdie despite her best efforts, suppose we'll know by smell eventually)

I recall reading about a study (as in reading a summary of and not itself) a study on cats falling from tall buildings in NYC (one of those based on reviewing prior data, and not its own experiment- they weren't lobbing cats from skyscrapers). What they found was that very very rarely is the cat injured at all. Scarcely even a broken bone. The assumption was that cats would poof themselves out enough that they'd slow their terminal velocity down to the point where they could fall from any height unharmed.

Basically one could lob a cat from an airplane and it would be just fine when it landed. Well, physically. Perhaps not mentally.

Our current cat doesn't care about the beer in any way, but the previous cat (pictured) was obsessed with the fermentation bubbles and would stand guard over the magic cauldron the entire brew. He was a proper black cat.

My pets tend to get very large. Pugs here lived to 14 and weighed 26lbs, and was nearly 4 foot from nose to tail. We couldn't let him go outside because the neighbors would keep calling the news about a black panther on the loose.

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 30
Our current cat doesn't care about the beer in any way, but the previous cat (pictured) was obsessed with the fermentation bubbles and would stand guard over the magic cauldron the entire brew. He was a proper black cat.

My pets tend to get very large. Pugs here lived to 14 and weighed 26lbs, and was nearly 4 foot from nose to tail. We couldn't let him go outside because the neighbors would keep calling the news about a black panther on the loose.

i love that cat.

Our Manx cat, Willow. She was abandoned either pregnant or with at least three kittens in tow. Two kittens were lost, probably to the coyotes, We took in Willow, and her little boy Kiki, going on 4 years ago. Willow is a gopher hunter, obviously. We live on a golf course so there's never a shortage of those annoying rodents. She always brings us back a prize. This one was from yesterday after my brew day. I should start mailing them in to our HOA, maybe they'll give us a break on our monthly dues - chemical free rodent control.

IMG-0908.jpg

I love the black cats. Matter of fact, after my Mr. Poo passed on April 1 I got one ... well, actually TWO cats, but only one is black.
They are siblings. The male is black, the female is dilute gray torti. Great animals ... absolutely happy to have them. I will post pics after downloading from my phone. Had them since July 12 and they are growing like weeds.

Meet Festus and Mara.

I got them from the Ocean County Animal Shelter as stray kitten siblings. There were three siblings, I took two. Teddy, the third little one, was already wanted by multiple people so I took the others - and glad I did. They are well-socialized little cats at just over 4 months of age.
I typically name all my male cats with an Italian or Latin name, so Festus fits this happy little ball of energy. He's my shadow and a comfort since my Old Gray Man passed on. Mara is a very mild-mannered girl who rarely ever says much.

festus1.jpg
mara1.jpg

Back