Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 593493

My cats want to play too.
You totally win. It's a blow out! Awesome photo. What's not fair is I refrain from documenting those!
Naked babies. Your cat's onesie appears to be in the wash? I'm still in the process of getting used to the style. Of course, I like/love them because they're animals.
I could Google but what's the basic history on the breed?

You guys leave me no choice but to post some of my babies.....not of the Sphinx variety, but crazy just the same. My two are cousins in that my Savannah's great grand ma was an Egyptian Mau, and she (the little one) is a pure bred Egyptian Mau. His great grand pa on the other hand is an African Serval. He is much more the intelligent one, and much more loyal to his keeper (me), she is MUCH the better hunter!!
Mika sleeping.JPG
Mika posing.jpg
Loki Mika helping in garage.JPG

I could Google but what's the basic history on the breed?
To the best of my knowledge the breed has only been around since the mid 60s. It started with a hairless kitten that was born in Canada and has been bred to maintain that mutated trait. There is a large network of (reputable) breeders that loan out their breeding males to help keep from having overbreeding problems. Cardio myopathy being about the only problem. They heart scan their cats once a year and pull any cat with signs of heart problems from the program. They also outcross breed with haired cats to help strengthen the gene pool. The breeding females are spoiled house pets.

We fell into our first Sphynx Bela 12 years ago when my wife was a forensic death investigator and worked the death of her owner. Having Bela allowed us to help relieve pain of people going through cancer treatment just by her being her silly Sphynx self. Imagine petting a purring warm peach that’s sitting in your lap. Bela allowed people to forget about their pain for a little while. That in turn led us to Judy the breeder we are very close friends with to this day.
The owner of my LHBS now has two of Judy’s kittens named Miss Prissy Pants and Cuddles.
Our cats never fail to bring a smile to our face......well unless we’re yelling at them to stop doing something.

To the best of my knowledge the breed has only been around since the mid 60s. It started with a hairless kitten that was born in Canada and has been bred to maintain that mutated trait. There is a large network of (reputable) breeders that loan out their breeding males to help keep from having overbreeding problems. Cardio myopathy being about the only problem. They heart scan their cats once a year and pull any cat with signs of heart problems from the program. They also outcross breed with haired cats to help strengthen the gene pool. The breeding females are spoiled house pets.

We fell into our first Sphynx Bela 12 years ago when my wife was a forensic death investigator and worked the death of her owner. Having Bela allowed us to help relieve pain of people going through cancer treatment just by her being her silly Sphynx self. Imagine petting a purring warm peach that’s sitting in your lap. Bela allowed people to forget about their pain for a little while. That in turn led us to Judy the breeder we are very close friends with to this day.
The owner of my LHBS now has two of Judy’s kittens named Miss Prissy Pants and Cuddles.
Our cats never fail to bring a smile to our face......well unless we’re yelling at them to stop doing something.
Thank you. That's awesome.

If I’m preparing for a brew day and a cat decides to nap on my lap then most likely I’ll have to reschedule...
There is that, but the way I get around it is put a pad on one of my bench tables and they usually will go lay on that while I tend to the brew. When I'm not busy I go over and pet/scratch them so they stay content. Seems to work pretty well for mine.....but like any animal, they're all different. Here's a picture, though I've posted this one before:
IMG_2030.jpg

View attachment 628416
This is from 3.5 years ago when we were moving. Jabberwocky likes his drives.

I’ve taken my 2 cats on a few 8+ hour drives. One loves it and just naps in my lap while I drive. The other hates her life and walks around the car doing her “I don’t want to be here “ meow. Cats are funny in the car.

Latest posts

Back