Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a sucker for strays and rescues, always have been. This is just the last ten years. George broke into our garage one winter at -40C (or F if you must!). My wife and I were away, and my daughter fed him ("He looked cold and hungry") He decided to stay.
View attachment 582539
The next summer he came home one day saying "Look what I found. Can I keep her?"
View attachment 582534
And honest to god, he let her suckle on two bare teats all summer! Her name, of course, is Georgette.
View attachment 582537
He taught her everything he knew about trees. This is the first sniff of spring.
View attachment 582540
He was an independent cuss and often went walk-about for weeks at a time. Liked his food wherever he found it.
View attachment 582556
He finally completely disappeared and would only come to visit periodically in the evening when the BBQ and fire pit were on. We found out the next year that he had moved in with a family two streets over that had younger kids. He was always a sucker for kids and my daughter had left home. They've now moved out of province, so we no longer see him, but remember him fondly.

Daughters! Another -40C (or F if you must!) winter, at Christmas, I had seen a black ball of fluff blowing down the street but had been unable to catch it. Mentioned it to my daughter, who was visiting, and this is what I got for Christmas.
View attachment 582542
I was now separated and living on my own. I was spending a lot of time on the road and had a cat sitter who kept their dishes full and their boxes empty, but little else. She never did see him. Georgette adopted him and still cares for him.
View attachment 582543
My ex had to get herself a kitten, but then discovered that she was allergic to him. She asked me to take him, but he spent too much time tormenting Georgette (I live three doors down).
She went on an extended vacation and I fed him and let him out in the morning, back in at night. He got lonely. It was a nice summer and I worked at the kitchen table with the door open.
View attachment 582544
He moved in, and that was that. Still snaps at Georgette sometimes, but it's just a boredom thing. For the most part, they now get along. All three snuggle down on the bed at night, in the same order every night, but spread out in the summer and tight together in the winter.
He's got a very fine coat and needs daily brushing. If I'm on the road for a week or two, it's game over. He now gets sheared every spring. Here he is in his long-johns.
View attachment 582545
God help me, one more and I'll be well on my way to being the town's cat lady.

I have 5. One was intentional, the rest were because we cannot say no to a stray or abandoned cat... It'll be six soon. You are a good person.

I have 5. One was intentional, the rest were because we cannot say no to a stray or abandoned cat... It'll be six soon. You are a good person
Terry Pratchett said it all:

cats.jpg

Cats know. Somehow they know who to trust.
The latest addition to my family group came as a full grown cat into an established family unit. After the initial tensions, he's settled in and even sorted out a position of dominance.

They have all learned to come and demand that the door be opened for them. He, however, has driven me crazy by asking to go out and then stopping at his food dish. My response was to call him a jerk, let him finish eating, then let him out.

I have discovered that all cats are jerks, until you understand what's going on in their minds - they aren't people. Just recently learned that cats may feel vulnerable while they are eating. In his case, even though he has established dominance, he still feels better if I have his back while he's eating. That's trust.

Now one of my cats is under the weather. She's lost a lot of weight and I had to take her in to the vet to see why. They gave her antibiotics for a bladder infection. Over the weekend we saw no signs of eating or pooping/peeing. Took her back Monday. They kept her to monitor her. Gave her back yesterday with instructions to force feed her formula with a syringe and give her steroids. She is using the box now, but I feel like a new father again. I hope she can get back to just eating her kitty food again soon. She's too much work right now!

Now one of my cats is under the weather. She's lost a lot of weight and I had to take her in to the vet to see why. They gave her antibiotics for a bladder infection. Over the weekend we saw no signs of eating or pooping/peeing. Took her back Monday. They kept her to monitor her. Gave her back yesterday with instructions to force feed her formula with a syringe and give her steroids. She is using the box now, but I feel like a new father again. I hope she can get back to just eating her kitty food again soon. She's too much work right now!

I hope your kitty gets back on her feet soon. She's using the box again--that's a good sign.

I lost my sweet male Himalayan flame-point to cancer a few years back. (earlier post) He was the best cat I ever had. In these last couple years, I've met a wonderful woman whose only discernible fault is a dislike of beer, but she encourages my habit/hobby, so no worries.

She brought two rescue puppers to the marriage, and at ages 6 and 3, they're great, well-behaved dogs.

Now, meet Maisie:

maysie 02.png

maysie 01.png

She joined us from the SPCA this past Labor Day weekend. 4months old. The dogs are in/out, she'll be 100% indoor. So, now comes the arduous process of teaching grown dogs that the kitten is not prey, but a family member.

Maisie is incredible - when the dogs are outside, she is full-on kitten, but when the dogs are inside (on leash for now), she is not fearful at all, she maintains her ground, but moves slowly, calmly. Sits on back of chair and bathes, or 'naps' - never hides.
The dogs are on calming treats, fingers crossed for a long-term successful union with the family.

Edit: Homercidal - hope your kitty is feeling better soon - it's as heart-wrenching as anything to deal with health problems for a family member!

Last edited:
I hope your kitty gets back on her feet soon. She's using the box again--that's a good sign.

Well sometimes. She's opting to go other places now, but she's eating some. Found her munching on a mouse and some cat food vomit 2 days ago. not sure it was her vomit, but it would be reasonable to expect it to hers. She's now eating some pureed, almost liquid cat food. She seems to have a bit more energy. She'll be a while gaining weight back, but I'm crossing my fingers she's on the mend.

Glad she's doing better. FWIW, I've had success getting sick cats to eat by putting a mix of honey and Gatorade on their front paws. If they are too sick to lick it off, it's definitely time for the vet.

Although the following could be considered sad, it is not and I will explain why it is, indeed, a happy tale.
His name was Tiger, a stray kitten who was to the point of giving up on life. When he didn't even bother to run when I approached we knew something was not right. We couldn't even get him to play with a string he was so near to being starved. But even then, he would pounce on a cricket and munch it down.
So we fed him, kept him in the shade and slowly he improved. As you might expect, we grew attached to Tiger. So it was off to the vet to get shots and all that. We were truly surprised when he was given a thumbs up/all healthy from the vet.
This cat played and played and loved cuddling--all the usual things. All in all, a very good pet.
At around ten months though, I noticed he was losing weight so it was off to the vet. He had something that is difficult to diagnose. Had we let it run its course right at the beginning, he would have passed in a few days.
But the way I look at it is, he had all this happy time with us and us with him that he would not have had! So that's why it is a happy story and not sad one.
I had to post this picture of him because he knew he wasn't supposed to sit in the potted plant.

Tiger.jpg

Cats know. Somehow they know who to trust.

My boy Mario was like that.
Many cats gravitate to one human in particular and they're picky about their company. Usually it's the person who pays them the most attention.
My boy Mario was utterly terrified of adult men and wouldn't tolerate them, except for me. At night he would sometimes mew and "call" me from another room, so I would answer to let him know he wasn't alone. Soon after, he'd jump on the bed. A twenty pound cat jumping on the bed is fairly obvious, especially at 2AM.
When I wasn't home he would sleep on my side of the bed and leave small Beanie toys as a calling card. During the winter he'd lay on my arm and I'd hold him like a teddy bear. I'd sleep better with him around. Now that he's not around I miss him badly. After he passed I had trouble sleeping for weeks.
Mario has been gone since the first day of summer but I still have his litter mate Pookie. Mr. Poo is my grumpy gray avatar now and is lone king of the house, but he's not the same personality ... but that's OK, I still pick him up and give him hugs when he needs it.

he had all this happy time with us and us with him that he would not have had!
and that is what is so important! Our definitions of what are happy times differs as much as our understanding of each other. So many times I shake my head, so many times they stalk off (in disgust?). But the times that we are in sync are such pure joy. Give them their space, enjoy the times we are in sync and try to forgive the times when we aren't (whiskers on the face at 5 am). They wander into our lives to enrich them, and all too often wander back out again. Grieve, but remember the joy. (BTW, what a cutey!)

They are ours for only a short time. Cats are sometimes cantankerous critters, but you gotta love 'em
I tell Poo not to scratch his particular post when he gets impatient or I'll touch his paws. He KNOWS I will touch his paws, but the little nard does it anyway, every time.
Does it stop him? No. It's Poo being Poo and we both know the game.

My boy Mario was like that.
Many cats gravitate to one human in particular and they're picky about their company. Usually it's the person who pays them the most attention.
My boy Mario was utterly terrified of adult men and wouldn't tolerate them, except for me. At night he would sometimes mew and "call" me from another room, so I would answer to let him know he wasn't alone. Soon after, he'd jump on the bed. A twenty pound cat jumping on the bed is fairly obvious, especially at 2AM.
When I wasn't home he would sleep on my side of the bed and leave small Beanie toys as a calling card. During the winter he'd lay on my arm and I'd hold him like a teddy bear. I'd sleep better with him around. Now that he's not around I miss him badly. After he passed I had trouble sleeping for weeks.
Mario has been gone since the first day of summer but I still have his litter mate Pookie. Mr. Poo is my grumpy gray avatar now and is lone king of the house, but he's not the same personality ... but that's OK, I still pick him up and give him hugs when he needs it.
Cats are the best! They're a joy to remember! Thank you for sharing your experience. I've lost cats myself and had to "get back on the horse." I understand totally.

You know you're a cat lover when you go to the store and rummage through the discarded vegetable boxes trying to find one or two just big enough for them to fit in.
I regularly switch out old boxes for new ones. The new ones get "claimed" and the old ones get recycled.

Here Poo claims the Amazon box.
amapoo.jpg

...and here, the fuzzy devil claims the couch. He mixes in pretty well
couchiepoo.jpg

Latest posts

Back