Catastrophe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorris1

Reaction score
Ok, I could cry. I set up to bottle my Celebration clone last night, was sanitizing everything, my hydrometer slipped out of my hands and shattered... thought to myself, bummer, but it could have been worse.

Transfered my beer from primary to bottling bucket, began filling the bottles, when I see the bottling bucket start to slip off my table....

14 bottles filled, 4+ gallons on the floor and carpet.

Unbelievable....:(

OH HOLY NIGHT!!!

I was thinking of starting a Revvy's Brewing Nightmares thread today, but decided not to...It would be too depressing.

Sorry for your loss.

I did this exactly the same way as I did my last batch. I used a small notebook to "tilt" the bucket to be able to drain every last drop out... well guess what... I sure got everything out of it...

Next time... I won't tilt until nearly empty.... I'm such a tool...

sorry for your loss.

The other lesson to learn here is to always have 2 hydrometers. I learned that one, took a while but, I learned it well.

yep... tho by that point, I'd pretty much committed to bottling... it'd been in the primary for a few weeks, pretty much figured she was done...

I sure hope those 14 bottles are good :)

I think Revvy has the answer to that!!!

And it was precisely nearly doing the same thing AND then dropping the object I used to prop mine into the bottling bucket that I rigged up

The bottling bucket diptube!

dip1.jpg

dip2.jpg

Just find a stopper that fits the back of the spigot, then either bend some copper or brass tubing until it the back end of it touches the bottom of the bucket, leaving a tiny gap in the front for the liquid (and not the hops) to flow through.

Actually that is version one, which unfortunaely went into the garbage disposal and was so hacked up that it never quite worked as well ever again.

For my new version I took a piece of racking cane, and heated it over my yeast harvesting alcohol spirit lamp and bent it till it worked for me.

A couple people have rigged up different versions with all manner of junk, including IIRC a small pvc bend...

It would be neat to see what other's have rigged up...

Basically anything that you can fit from your bottling spigot to the bottom of the bucket will work.

It also leaves behind less than 4 ounces of beer in the bunket. Someone's bend get's less than a shotglass.

wow... so for 2 bucks I could have saved my batch... darn...

I figure my 12 pack is Celebration will end up costing somewhere close to 400 bucks... ouch....

yup... I knew to do that one too... just got lazy and didn't want to clear off the counter top.

I completely deserve this, for sure... I tried to take the easy way out (should've known better).

No no - no one deserves that.

Doing it over a dish washer you would have broken the door also AND messed the floor!!

Also - draft systems are sweet nice but have drawbacks. It's tough to give away 5 gallons to a friend!

Wow....that's a real bummer. Hope the clean up went well..... Also that mod of Revvy's kicks arse....gotta get that going....

Back