Carrot wine haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenalope

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've got a problem someone here may have some idea about. I may be premature, but I'm thinking about it right now, so I'll ask while I'm thinking about it.
I made up a big batch (about 40 gallons) of carrot wine in a barrel, because it's cheap and I made a pretty tasty 5 gallon batch. Before, I boiled the piss out of the carrots and fermented what came out of that, but this time, I juiced the carrots (about 100 lb).
It's been sitting around for 5-6 months, stopped fermenting after about one month, but it has this terrible haze that I can't seem to get rid of. It's kind of a milky orange color and tastes like overripe carrots. Now, I've read that starchy vegetables need to be boiled before making wine to convert the starches, which I didn't do.
I've tried a bottle of amylase, which I think helped; the iodine test was doing a little before that and now does nothing. I've tried pectic enzyme (I've also heard that carrots have quite a bit of pectin) in the proportion jack keller recommends, and that didn't do anything. I threw in some bentonite a couple weeks ago, mixed with wine but in I think a slightly smaller amount than recommended. It tastes better, at least, now, but still has that funky color and the taste isn't ideal yet. So I put in another cup of bentonite today, hoping that'll do the trick.
If this doesn't work, I think it's going to have to go down the drain. Any other suggestions to save a large amount of booze from such a terrible fate?

svenalope said:
Hey guys! I've got a problem someone here may have some idea about. I may be premature, but I'm thinking about it right now, so I'll ask while I'm thinking about it.
I made up a big batch (about 40 gallons) of carrot wine in a barrel, because it's cheap and I made a pretty tasty 5 gallon batch. Before, I boiled the piss out of the carrots and fermented what came out of that, but this time, I juiced the carrots (about 100 lb).
It's been sitting around for 5-6 months, stopped fermenting after about one month, but it has this terrible haze that I can't seem to get rid of. It's kind of a milky orange color and tastes like overripe carrots. Now, I've read that starchy vegetables need to be boiled before making wine to convert the starches, which I didn't do.
I've tried a bottle of amylase, which I think helped; the iodine test was doing a little before that and now does nothing. I've tried pectic enzyme (I've also heard that carrots have quite a bit of pectin) in the proportion jack keller recommends, and that didn't do anything. I threw in some bentonite a couple weeks ago, mixed with wine but in I think a slightly smaller amount than recommended. It tastes better, at least, now, but still has that funky color and the taste isn't ideal yet. So I put in another cup of bentonite today, hoping that'll do the trick.
If this doesn't work, I think it's going to have to go down the drain. Any other suggestions to save a large amount of booze from such a terrible fate?

How does it taste? No problem with drinking hazy wine.

Take 6 gallons, get a product called SuperKleen. It is a two part fining agent, though I never tried it on hazy wine. See if that clears it up and then do it on the rest of your batch.

update! I didn't try the superkleen, but I did throw in some gelatin after the bentonite. This is the ugliest booze I've ever seen - the bentonite and gelatin took out some of the color and some of the funk, but it's still a nasty milky peach color. Tastes much better though, a lot like a white wine, which is kind of cool since I made it with carrots. Also tried cold crashing it out in the garage, got it down to about 40 degrees for two nights, then I heard it was going to get super cold so I got scared and brought it inside. That didn't do a thing. So basically, right now I have like 30-40 gallons of drinkable wine that I will never be able to convince any friends to drink, and it's tying up my fermenting barrel until I bottle it or drink it. Oh how difficult life is for a hoocher.

Another update: I tried filtering it and that didn't clear up the haze, but it did improve the flavor. After a polish filtering, it's pretty drinkable but still a little funky. After sterile filtering, it tastes kind of like a white wine, but there's almost no acidity. I think I'll go this route, but another thought has occurred to me - cold crashing didn't work, but maybe jacking (hypothetically) would clear out whatever it is that's causing the haze. Anyone have thoughts on that? Also, you guys know much about filtering? It seems odd to me that it would take out so much acid flavor. Maybe tartrate crystals or something? I don't know much about that.

Back