Caribou Slobber with Muntons ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
Today was going to be the day to decide what to do with the Slobber. I was going to pitch a liter of US-05 at high krausen if the beer was still at 1.019 as it was one week ago. Today was day 33 in the fermentor. This morning the beer is at 1.014. Very little CO2 in the SG sample. It tastes good. I'm going to leave it as is for another few days before taking another SG reading. I'll bottle soon if the SG is the same and there is a little less CO2 in the sample.

Active fermentation had begun at 67°F. Every couple of days I raised the temperature 1° to a high of 71° on day 13. Day 12 had roused the yeast because the SG was at 1.020. Day 18 the SG was holding at 1.020 with very little CO2 in the sample tube. Eight days later SG was down to 1.019 with a lot of CO2 in the sample tube.

From boil kettle to maybe being done fermenting in 33 days is a record for my brews.

I had used Danstar Windsor ale once for the Caribou Slobber. At 14 days it had stopped at 1.018. I finished it with a pitch of US-05 at high krausen. I wonder if Muntons and Windsor are the same strain of yeast.

I wonder if Muntons and Windsor are the same strain of yeast.

Which Munton's yeast? They package a lot of yeasts, in their own name and for other people. The ordinary Munton's ale yeast is generally believed to be the old EDME yeast now resurrected as Fermentis S-33, but you would not be the first person to note that the premium one seems to behave in a similar fashion to Lallemand Windsor. Hopefully we should get some DNA data before the year is out....

That's crazy. I have never had a fermentation take anywhere near that long. Though for that beer I would have considered it done at 1.019.

What yeast did you use? Why would you make a starter with dry yeast?

I can't comment on the yeast since I have never seen a Munton's yeast let alone used any.

I have used Windsor before. One time it stalled by day 14, but a swirl and a higher temperature finished it by day 21. The other time I had no issues.

I pitched an actively fermenting wort because the beer already contained a significant amount of alcohol.

Latest posts

Back