Caribou Slobber w/WLP041 liquid yeast help. Did I mess something up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just brewed my second extract kit yesterday and this time for some reason on the NB site I got the pacific ale yeast wlp041 liquid yeast. I had it out of the fridge for 4 hours before I dumped it in my wort. When I finished yesterday and put the lid on and airlock I sat it in the closet that's at 70 degrees and it was burping out of the airlock pretty good after about 20 mins, is that normal?? The wort was at 55 degrees when I added it. Well today I get up and the airlock has settled on both sides like there isn't even any pressure on it. Made sure the lid was sealed and just pushed on it and everything appears to be fine. I wonder what I could have done to mess anything up? I'm still very much a noob at this and I have zero idea of the benefits or cons of the liquid yeast. I should have done some research into it before getting it. The first kit I did had the dry yeast and I just shook it on top of the wort, let it sit 10 mins, then stirred and put the airlock on. Please chime in guys. Thanks!

Did you do a yeast starter?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I just dumped the yeast in

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The initial gas movement was probably mostly due to the wort going from 55 degrees which was too cold for pitching to 70 degrees which is on the warm side. You should keep the temperatures of the wort in the mid sixties. The fermentation can raise the wort 5-10 degrees above ambient.

Now wait for a day or to 72 hours more before getting concerned.

Liquid yeast has a lot more varieties. It gives you more options for the tastes that yeast can add to your beer per style.

Research starters. It is better if you do starters when using liquid yeast.

Look at controlling your fermentation temperature. Other than that I see nothing wrong other than impatience.

It's actually starting to get pretty active now. Lesson learned, I'll do my research next time before trying something new. No more rushing things!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back