carboy help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taterosu

Reaction score
My primary fermentor has a bottle spout in it. Im all ready to brew and have a steady drip coming for around the spout itself and when i tried to tighten the backing nut the whole thing broke off. Im just glad I found it while sanitizing everything. My question is this. I am using an extract so I have to boil part of the water with the extract and mix with the other part of the water. I have a 6 gal carboy that I can use but I have a couple of worries. When pour the hot wort on top of the rest of the water will it break the carboy? Also my copper chiller wont fit in it so will it break if I use an ice bath to cool the wort down? Thanks for the help.

You never want to put hot wort into a glass carboy. Your best bet would be to chill the wort before you pour it into the carboy, either with a chiller or an ice bath. If you don't have a chiller than I would put the brew kettle in an ice bath until it was down to a reasonable temperature and then transfer it to the carboy.

Back