Carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Can a beer be really carbonated with not much of a head? The beer I just had was almost over carbonated but the head was small and didnt last 30 seconds. There was bubbles rising from the bottom, just no head to speak of. If I stick these in the fridge will they stop carbonating? Or...is the carbonation that is in the bottle not really enough since it isnt really producing a head?

Maybe Ill leave them in the closet to condition more before I refrigerate them. Any advice?

I think (from your other post too) that you should keep the beer in fridge for a few days rather than putting on freezer then trying it. The act of refrigerating actually pushes the CO2 into the beer. Might be why you're having carb issues. Wait a bit, put one in fridge, try it a few days later and see how it is!

OK...Ill wait a week or so, then throw a few in the fridge for a week or so. Should be conditioned about right by then, I guess.

well, I stuck it in the freezer for about 40 minutes and then poured into a glas that I had rinsed in cold water to bring it to a cooler than room temp glass. Was that not good?

well, I stuck it in the freezer for about 40 minutes and then poured into a glas that I had rinsed in cold water to bring it to a cooler than room temp glass. Was that not good?

ummmmm, yeah... Not good... Give them at least 4-7 days in the fridge to chill and get the CO2 into the beer. Not surprised you had the issue now... Go the normal 3 weeks at 70F and then chill for 1-2 weeks before you pour one to glass.

ummmmm, yeah... Not good... Give them at least 4-7 days in the fridge to chill and get the CO2 into the beer. Not surprised you had the issue now... Go the normal 3 weeks at 70F and then chill for 1-2 weeks before you pour one to glass.

Got it. Got another 4-5 days in the closet then Ill stick em in the fridge over Christmas. Maybe break one out after new years when we get home.

There's a difference between carbonation and head retention. Carbonation comes from co2 being absorbed in the beer. There is a direct corrolation between absorbsion and temperature. The colder the beer, the more Co2 will be absorbed. Head retention comes from proteins in the beer and to a lesser extent, isohumulones from hops. If there weren't enough proteins, you won't get good head retention. Next time add a little Carapils to your recipe to help with head retention, but if your beer seems over-carbonated than it probably is and you can throw them in the fridge now.

Head retention can also have a lot to do with the glass you pour it in. Whether the glass is the same temp as the beer, whether you use a rinse agent in your dishwasher, whether you properly get all the soap off your glass before you pour, I think even whether the glass is wet has to do with it as well. So don't think that poor head retention is a sign of weak carbonation.

Depending on recipe, head formation and retention of carbonated beer can be quite different. It is not unusual to have low head in carbonated beer since head retention depends on protein content, iso-alpha acids and some other factors.
I had good success with adding crystal malt- this summer I brewed 2 pale ales:
one of them with pale and wheat malt, other beer was with these two and crystal malt (all other ingredients and process were the same). Beer w/crystal malt had better head formation as well as retention. I was surprised that wheat malt (I think ~20%) in 1st version didn't affected head too much.

If you want to read more about head formation/retention there is great article on byo.com:

http://***********/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/625-fabulous-foam

3 days in the fridge is usually fine

While it can be 'fine' it's very often better after a week, or more. There are more than a few posts from people who have tried brews after a few days, a week, and then more than a week. Most of the time, the longer you let it sit in the fridge the better head retention and better carbonation in the brew. This can vary from recipe to recipe, but leaving it for longer does no hard, and the majority of the time provides improvements you can see/taste.

Don't rush your brew at any step along it's journey. You'll be rewarded for your patience.

Back