Carbonating Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdx

Reaction score
Not sure where this would go so I'll put it here.

My girlfriend wants me to carbonate her juice (made from a juicer) with a carbonator cap.

I know that "co2 lines are rarely a source of contamination" but since the juice will never be boiled or sterilized in anyway, am I opening myself up to that rare instance where my lines will have to potential to contaminate my beer?

And if contamination isn't a problem, since the specific gravity of the juice will be so much higher then beer, would it even make sense to try and carbonate it. I figure I would probably have to run it at pressures much higher then a 2L bottle could handle or I would have to leave it under pressure for so long the juice would just go bad?

Those carbonator caps are great! Just hook it up, set it at 30 psi for cold juice, give it a blast of the co2, shake, give it another blast at 30 psi, etc.

It works great.

It takes just a couple of minutes to carb up soda, juice, water, etc. so it's great.

Just don't tip the bottle upside down while holding it high over the co2 tank to minimize risk. (Or at least have a backflow preventer somewhere on it).

Some people like to water down their juice prior to carbonating. (And some people just like to water down their juice in the first place to tone down the sweetness). So that's also a possibility if she's that type of person, and it makes it a few seconds less to carbonate.

I generally set mine between 30 and 40 (usually 40) during these quick co2 carb times. Soda bottles won't usually burst until you're over 100psi, usually in the 120-200 psi range based on various burst tests, unless you have a damaged bottle, so just replace them every so often (buy a bottle of carbonated water or something, or one of each size if you want. I keep a 20oz, 1L and three 2-L bottles around, and I should probably replace one or two this year).

Back