carbonating into 2liter bottles then tranfer to glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I dont have my keg set up yet, and I actually prefer drinking from the bottle, I was wondering if one could carbonate a 2 liter bottle then transfer to say 6-8 12oz glass bottles and then cap them.

would this carbonate instantly? how do the commercial brew cos do it?

You could carbonate in any container that seals. However, if you are transferring to glass, why bother with the bottle. Commercial breweries force carbonate with co2 prior to bottling.

You could...

People sometimes force carb in a keg and bottle and cap from there so they can give away bottles, etc.

How are you going to carb the 2-liter bottle? The benefit of the keg to bottle method is the force carb. Not sure how to force carb a 2-liter bottle...

You could...

People sometimes force carb in a keg and bottle and cap from there so they can give away bottles, etc.

How are you going to carb the 2-liter bottle? The benefit of the keg to bottle method is the force carb. Not sure how to force carb a 2-liter bottle...

We've been using the tire valve method. I drilled a hole in the cap inserted the valve stem from the auto parts store and use a tire chuck connected to the co2 regulator. It works. My son just made carbonated lemonade. I dont know if its cost effective, The tire valves are 3.00 for the good ones. If you bottle 10- 2 liter bottles this way you just blew 30.00. a keg is only 55.00

There are a few advantages over kegging one is 1- fridge space, you can refridgerate a few at a time and put the others in a dark closet to age. 2-no need to buy hoses and taps unless u want to convert the 2 liter to do this.

btw u can use the cheap tire valves they ate 2.00 for a 4 pack, I dont know if they seal as well. I have one and will give it a try.

I have made carbonator valves out of metal tire valves - drill the appropriate size hole in the soda top and seal it with silicone. Works great. Fill the bottle, squeeze out the air, put the cap on and pressurize. Remember that you will need a gas fitting for the tire valve. If you don't want to make then buy carbonator(tm) fittings that will allow you to use ball lock disconnects. Pricey though.

I have made carbonator valves out of metal tire valves - drill the appropriate size hole in the soda top and seal it with silicone. Works great. Fill the bottle, squeeze out the air, put the cap on and pressurize. Remember that you will need a gas fitting for the tire valve. If you don't want to make then buy carbonator(tm) fittings that will allow you to use ball lock disconnects. Pricey though.

What do you mean by this

Remember that you will need a gas fitting for the tire valve

Sort of in a similar vein. Have you had a look at the Tap-A-Draft set-up? The bottles are about 6 litres and you can force carb if you really want to, as long as you don't mind wasting the little gas CO2 cartridges, or just go with standard batch priming with sugar.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/tap-a-draft-starter-kit.html

deffinatly cool! 65.00 would be okay, but they say the bottles need replacing after 6 uses, another 35.00

Im thinking of coming up with an inexpensive system that uses 2 liter bottles and allows for tap hookup aswell as co2. this might be impossible due to the wall thickness of the 2 liter. but I will see what i can come up with.

The ingenuity of homebrewers never ceases to amaze...

I never would have thought of doing that.

yewtah-brewha said:
What do you mean by this

Remember that you will need a gas fitting for the tire valve

When you use a tire valve for carbonation the only way to get the gas into the bottle is to use the same type of fitting you use to put air in your tires. I bought an air fitting and an adapter to add a 1/4 MFL flare fitting to screw into the female flare fitting attached to the gas line.

(Assuming I have successfully attached the photo - imagine the gas line attached to the barb on the left).

image-3660502786.jpg

my set up is similar. I am using air compressor jumper hose 3' in length, I got the regulator and hoses w fittings from harbor freight. the total was 38.00. They say you cant use the HF regulator, I am proof that you can. it has worked great. with the 25% coupon I paid 26.00 for the regulator.

Latest posts

Back