Carbonades Flamandes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Carbonades Flamandes: Belgian Beer Beef Stew

This is usually a traditional beer-based beef stew, but I have pieced together my own recipe, so I don't really know how "traditional" it really is.

• ~ 3 lbs stew meat (I used a sirloin roast which I trimmed and cubed myself) cut into any size cubes you want, but try to keep them uniform.
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 3-4 cups beer (nothing too hoppy, a good amber or dark Belgian is preferred but not obligatory. I used my American Brown)
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tbl chile powder
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt
  • pepper

Transfer_01-18-08_082.JPG

Begin by sweating the onions over low heat. After they become slightly translucent, add the garlic. Keep over low heat, don't brown or burn the garlic - a personal pet peeve. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add seasoned meat (usually salt and pepper with a smearing of olive oil). Brown evenly.

After the meat has sufficiently browned (you don't have to cook all the way through), drain the fat with any convenient method.

Return everything to the pot if you have drained through a colander. Add the tomato paste and spices, and coat the meat sufficiently.

Add the beer and stock.

Transfer_01-18-08_085.JPG

Bring up to a simmer so that bubbles break the surface slowly. Simmer for 4-5 hours. Adjust taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with a crusty baguette for sauce-mopping and pomme frites with aoli.

IMG_1128.JPG

**Note: Best made the day ahead, cooled, and stored in the refrigerator. Heat up the following day back on the stovetop.

bigjohnmilford said:
isn't this part of the multi course meal you posted last week?

Yes, but since this recipe is pretty traditional with the beer thing and all, I figured I'd be doing a dis-service for not sharing it.

PseudoChef said:
Yes, but since this recipe is pretty traditional with the beer thing and all, I figured I'd be doing a dis-service for not sharing it.

Yes indeed you were. Thanks for sharing. I'm starving :mug:

Melana said:
Hey, I'm starving too. I should post my 'recipe' for my beef and barley stew... but i never use a real 'recipe'...

Yeah, basically the only reason why I was able to write this one down is because before I went to make it, a thought ran through my head along the lines of, "Since this has beer in it, I bet the users at HBT would find it interesting," so I actually thought about what I was doing proportion-wise and such.

Normally, I throw !@#$ in a pot. My wife hates me. A normal conversation in our kitchen:

Her: "How much lemon goes in the piccata?"
Me: "I dunno, until it tastes right?"

Her: "How long do you cook it?"
Me: "Until it's done."
Her: *Rolls eyes and hands me the tongs*

PseudoChef said:

That is the only way it should be done.

PseudoChef said:
Yeah, basically the only reason why I was able to write this one down is because before I went to make it, a thought ran through my head along the lines of, "Since this has beer in it, I bet the users at HBT would find it interesting," so I actually thought about what I was doing proportion-wise and such.

Normally, I throw !@#$ in a pot. My wife hates me. A normal conversation in our kitchen:

That's the exact same conversation I have with SWMBO all the time:)

shafferpilot said:
That's the exact same conversation I have with SWMBO all the time:)
Same here! She gets extremely frustrated with the fact that I don't really follow cookbooks and recipes, so it's hard for her to duplicate my efforts.

Well, I made this yesterday and it was great! I don't eat much fried food, so I didn't serve it with pommes frites but made garlic mashed potatoes and homemade bread. We all loved it, but especially my son! Thanks!

YooperBrew said:
Well, I made this yesterday and it was great! I don't eat much fried food, so I didn't serve it with pommes frites but made garlic mashed potatoes and homemade bread. We all loved it, but especially my son! Thanks!

Cool! Yeah, I don't fry much either, the fries/chips I made were actually baked anyway!

Back