Carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
Thinking of going to kegging. My question is to carb up a corny does the gas have to stay connnected to the keg? I guess i'm not sure if i could just put some pressure to a newly filled keg and then put it aside and then put the gas line back on the keg being served. Any insight? Thanks

Yes, to carb up the gas should be on the keg. The co2 is absorbed into the beer, due to the pressure on it. To carb up a keg without gas, you can always use priming sugar just like for bottling.

so if i buy a one line setup for kegging, i will have to connect the keg to gas and wait, then when that keg is gone i'll attach another and wait to carb.. hmmmm makes the one line kit not so cool now.....

so if i buy a one line setup for kegging, i will have to connect the keg to gas and wait, then when that keg is gone i'll attach another and wait to carb.. hmmmm makes the one line kit not so cool now.....

I bought a two line regulator just for this reason.

I'm not sure if switching back and forth between the two, to keep fairly constant pressure will work or not. Maybe some more experienced keggers will chime in.

I have a two line regulator and I still mostly do natural carbonation. I figure why waste space in my kegerator when I can just add priming sugar stick the keg in a closet and wait a few weeks.

I prefer using my kegerator space for the kegs that are on tap and kegs that are lagering. I only have room for 3 corny kegs in the kegerator so with 2 on tap and one always lagering i'm pretty limited to space.

I have a two line regulator and I still mostly do natural carbonation. I figure why waste space in my kegerator when I can just add priming sugar stick the keg in a closet and wait a few weeks.

I prefer using my kegerator space for the kegs that are on tap and kegs that are lagering. I only have room for 3 corny kegs in the kegerator so with 2 on tap and one always lagering i'm pretty limited to space.

Good idea.

It's sort of funny you say that. It wasn't until last week I found out about using priming sugar for kegging. I thought CO2 was the only way to carb a keg.

You use 1/2 the amount of priming sugar as you do for bottling, correct?

Their are lots of posts here about how much priming sugar to use. Personally I use 3/4 of a cup. But as with all brewing questions...ask 5 brewers and get 10 answers.

Back