Carbing a Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedbag

Reaction score
So, I am brewing my first Hefe. I want it to be highly carbonated, in accordance with BJCP guidelines. I have found charts (like this), that say carbonation can be as high as 5 volumes! To obtain 5 volumes, I would need about 8.48 oz of corn sugar according to brewsmith. My question is, can the bottles handle that level of carbonation, or should I dial it back to around 6 oz like I originally planned?

My question would be if you know what an ultra high carbonated beer is truly like? Further, do you know the difference between a 5 volume carbonation and a 3.5 volume carbonation (which btw are both way outside of BJCP guidelines for a hefe)? Finally, why would you risk $35.00 worth of ingredients, $50.00 worth of bottles, and possibly hundreds of dollars worth of medical bills and property damage just so you could drink foam?

Yeah, if you over carb and don't have bottle bombs, you'll have a big glass of foam and a foaming bottle.

It's not nearly as pleasant as it sounds. :cross:

I'd probably shoot for 2.5-3 for this I think. I can't imagine what 5 volumes is like. Or even 4 for that matter.

My question would be if you know what an ultra high carbonated beer is truly like? Further, do you know the difference between a 5 volume carbonation and a 3.5 volume carbonation (which btw are both way outside of BJCP guidelines for a hefe)?

O Rly?

The BJCP guidelines describe carbonation qualitatively and for weiss beer they say "high", "spritzy" and "effervescent". A typical american ale at around 2.4 volumes is described as "moderate", so what carbonation level is it that is "way lower" than 3.5 volumes and still so remarkably higher than 2.4 volumes qualitatively?

The fact of the matter is that most commercial examples are around 4 volumes and that is the level the BJCP is describing.

Thanks for the input everyone, I am going to go with around 3 volumes which would be about 5.8 ounces of corn sugar. I think that will be a good starting point for my Hefe.

I'd probably shoot for 2.5-3 for this I think. I can't imagine what 5 volumes is like. Or even 4 for that matter.

You should try a bavarian wheat beer or an Orval if you want to know what 4-5 volumes is like. If you want to know what even higher is like try sparkling wine or soda.

You should try a bavarian wheat beer or an Orval if you want to know what 4-5 volumes is like. If you want to know what even higher is like try sparkling wine or soda.

Guess my tastes run more to the British styles - I'll have to look for a bavarian or Orval next time I'm at the packie. Just curious - what volume of CO2 are sparkling wines and sodas?

Guess my tastes run more to the British styles - I'll have to look for a bavarian or Orval next time I'm at the packie. Just curious - what volume of CO2 are sparkling wines and sodas?

Depends. Sparkling wines are 4-7 probably. Soda is probably 3.5-5.5 so in either case only the highest carbonated examples would exceed the highest carbonated beers.

Back