Carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
I put too much priming sugar in my brown this time around and so I checked it at two days and the bottle I checked is fully carved where I want it . Is it safe to go ahead and assume they are all at the same level? I checked a 12 oz bottle but have bombers as well. If so, I'm going to throw them all in the fridge to stop carbonation.

Two days seems pretty quick. I would check a bottle from the start of bottling and one from the end. That way you know that the sugar was mixed properly throughout your beer.

ArrogantDusty said:
I put too much priming sugar in my brown this time around and so I checked it at two days and the bottle I checked is fully carved where I want it . Is it safe to go ahead and assume they are all at the same level? I checked a 12 oz bottle but have bombers as well. If so, I'm going to throw them all in the fridge to stop carbonation.

If you got a good even mix then yes you can assume that. Refrigeration may not halt carbonation completely so use caution for potential bottle bombs. Carbonation will slow but may not stop completely

You should make sure you didn't creat bottle bombs getting them to carb that fast. Was the beer at a stable FG when you bottled it? How much priming sugar did you use? & larger bottles take more time to carbonate than the 12oz ones do.

Bottle or batch prime? How much sugar did you prime with vs. what you were supposed to prime with?

When you say that you checked a bottle at 2 days, what did you do to check it? If it's a PET bottle, they can firm up pretty quickly. That doesn't necessarily mean that you've over carbed.

Unless you over did it to the point where things might start cutting loose, I'd simply leave everything alone and give them the normal few weeks at room temp.

Back