Caraway Seeds for Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I’ve tried to get a nice rye flavor and have used up to 33.3% but still that nice rye flavor eludes me. I see a Roggenbier typically use 50-65% but am unclear on how they get the mash to run smoothly. Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada is the only beer I’ve been happy with.

My wife suggested it may be caraway I’m looking for. Any advice on how much one would want to use in 2.5 gals roughly 6%?

Hi Rod- there is a guy who did 100% rye near me. The beer actually tasted pretty good, but it was more viscous than motor oil. With BIAB or a lot of rice hulls (or maybe a no-sparge?) way, you could go alot higher. I love that spicy rye beer flavor, but I dunno about caraway seeds. I mean, I love them and even put them in my pickled beets, but it doesn't really scream "rye" to me.

Do you use rye malt and rye flakes both?

I’ve just used rye malt from Briess.

I’m not too keen on a no sparge beer. Wouldn’t one still have an issue with it draining from the initial mash?

I definitely use rice hulls.

I think she wondered if it was the caraway in rye that I was looking for since it’s fairly common. Dunno really.

I’ve tried to get a nice rye flavor and have used up to 33.3% but still that nice rye flavor eludes me. I see a Roggenbier typically use 50-65% but am unclear on how they get the mash to run smoothly. Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada is the only beer I’ve been happy with.

My wife suggested it may be caraway I’m looking for. Any advice on how much one would want to use in 2.5 gals roughly 6%?
I'm down with that. I'd add caraway.

I think, in many peoples minds, rye beer = rye bread flavor. Caraway is likely the missing link to make rye beer taste like rye bread. Now, how much caraway to use? I don’t know. I’d start low, unless you absolutely love the stuff. Spices can easily dominate a beer in an unpleasant way.

Rye at !/3 the grain bill is exactly what I use. If you're looking for "rye-bread" aroma and flavor, start with a tsp. of crushed caraway seeds in the last 10 minutes of the boil. See if that works and adjust on the next batch. However it goes, let us know.

I think, in many peoples minds, rye beer = rye bread flavor. Caraway is likely the missing link to make rye beer taste like rye bread. Now, how much caraway to use? I don’t know. I’d start low, unless you absolutely love the stuff. Spices can easily dominate a beer in an unpleasant way.
How low would you start with for 2.5 gals were you attempting this?

I think flaked rye gives a stronger 'rye taste' then just rye malt. I'd use both in a rye beer (I have), and up to 30% rye total.
I don’t have much rye malt left so I’ll try flaked next time. Thanks!

Oh, and I’d prefer to not use these caraway seeds if I don’t need them. I just want something similar to Ruthless Rye’s malt flavor.

I don’t really know. Maybe on par with other strong spices, grains of paradise. I’d look up those discussions and use that as a jumping off point.

I don’t have much rye malt left so I’ll try flaked next time. Thanks!

Oh, and I’d prefer to not use these caraway seeds if I don’t need them. I just want something similar to Ruthless Rye’s malt flavor.

As long as you use enough base malt to convert, the flaked rye is great in my opinion. It's sticky, though, I'll warn you! I do more BIAB these days to ease cleanup with my tippy dump MLT, so it's not that much of an issue for me with lautering but rice hulls are really imperative without a bag.

As long as you use enough base malt to convert, the flaked rye is great in my opinion. It's sticky, though, I'll warn you! I do more BIAB these days to ease cleanup with my tippy dump MLT, so it's not that much of an issue for me with lautering but rice hulls are really imperative without a bag.
I gave up on BIAB and now cut my batches in half. I’ve converted a small 3 gal water jug into my mash tun. It’s looks a little silly with a huge stainless manifold on it now 😆

Use LOTS of rice hulls. I don't think you can use too much, as they are neutral and don't add flavor.

I did a 5 gallon BIAB Roggenbier several years ago, with 50% rye malt. I added 1/2 lb of rice hulls. Nowhere near enough hulls. I hoisted out the bag and it looked like a big, shiny balloon. Had to squeeze by hand about 20 minutes. Glad I had a hoist with ratchet pulley.

Beer turned out fine.

The key to brewing with rye is a beta glucan rest for twenty minutes or longer.

I have brewed with high rye percentages but have yet to taste the "spiciness"that people attribute to rye. I think people are confusing bread spices with rye flavour so caraway should get your there. Or use a bread spice mix instead!

King Arthur makes a couple additives for baking pumpernickel. A "rye bread improver," and a "deli rye flavor." Both are in powder form. The latter really makes the bread's flavor pop and is very potent. I add 1/2 tsp for a loaf.

Maybe one or both of those could be added late boil.

tsp. of crushed caraway seeds in the last 10 minutes of the boil
You could do this then make a tincture with 1 oz of crushed seeds soaked in a few ounces of vodka for a week or some before packaging your beer and use it to adjust if needed. Or maybe make a bigger tinctue and just use it at packaging without the boil addition. Good luck!🍻

Following as the wife wants a Rye IPA... thinking about doing Denny Conn's Wry Smile
I am not familiar with that recipe but if Denny made it I’ll have to search for it, assuming it’s here in the database. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back