Capped bottles, forgot priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so5724x

Reaction score
Hi,

I capped all my bottles but forgot priming sugar! Kicking myself.

Should I uncap, add Cooper's drops, and then recap? I could do as early as within 24 hours.

Or do you suggest boiling up my priming sugar and dripping a certain amount into each 12 oz bottle (how much per bottle?)

Do I risk harming or oxidizing the beer in any way if I uncap and recap?

Thanks.

I would add carb drops and recap. You could risk bottle bombs if you don't measure the priming sugar solution correctly.

If you have the carb drops on hand I would go that route. What size batch did you bottle?

There is always risk when you expose your beer to the air but in this case you have no choice but to open them. I agree with the drops. Maybe get some oxygen absorbing caps to help minimize oxidation if you are really worried about it, but I don't think its a concern. Just turn off all fans and keep people away while you do uncap and recap. Sanitize your hands too so you don't get anything on the drops.

Back