Can't believe I'm admitting this mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
Well I am just about to rack my high gravity imperial IPA to the secondary and dry hop it when I realized something. I am pretty sure when I was first starting the batch I grabbed the wrong bag and sanitized my equipment with corn sugar instead of Star San. I was rushing when I was making the batch and both my corn sugar and Star San are in clear unmarked plastic bags ( I know stupid). Fortunately I clean and sanitize everything before and after use so no sign of infection or foreign invaders. We all have our crazy stories and mistakes and I just thought I would share mine.

A misrake? Ruh oh! :D I'm sitting here wondering if you primed with starsan?? Did you smell them before using? Starsan smells sorta citrusy to me.

On the upside, Scooby, it's a high-gravity brew able to fend off infections like a champ. Good story- brought a good chuckle here. Going to label up your bags, now? :p Kyle

Haven't primed yet this happened when I was sanitizing my carboy for the primary. I am just about to rack it to the secondary to dry hop for two weeks or so. Star San is grainy too that is how I noticed that the wrong bag was sitting on top of my equipment. Everything is properly labeled now so should be good when priming time comes.

I had no idea star san came in granular form. I learn something new everyday here!

I didn't know that star san came granulated either. Are you talking about one-step? At any rate, you will need to reprime at bottling time since the yeast consumed the corn sugar you sanitized with during fermentation. That's probably obvious to you but I thought it was worth mentioning at any rate.

Yes I did mean one step.... Sorry for the confusion. I aways planed on priming later as I never intended to use corn sugar to start with.

Just got done racking to the secondary all went as good as planed. With the HG the cake seemed a little thicker than normal leaving a little more head room in my secondary. It's dry hoping now though and should turn out nice.

Back