Candi sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this thread is on here somewhere but...I've bottled with the Brewer's Best Light Candi Sugar before but I seem to not be able to get consistent results. It comes in small chunks about 3/8" and usually drop 2 pieces in each bottle. I use 16oz and 64oz bottles(more sugar here). How much sugar is used typically to prime? Does beer type/gravity/yeast play a factor? Also If I keg in my 5G corny I'll use less than if bottled individually but never stays carbed long. I only have 16g CO2 cans to "force" carb it so that's not really an option until I man up and get a tank. Thanks for any feedback.

I would guess about 3.1 grams of sugar per 16oz bottle. Is there a reason you use candi sugar to prime? I simply use table sugar, it produces no off flavors that I notice, and it's cheap.

I started with candi sugar as it was easy to get into a bottleneck cleanly. The light sugar really has no flavor and have just never steered away from it. Thanks for the responses. After I run out of this bag I may just switch to table sugar for cost reasons.

Back