Can you tell me if these are bad hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
So I opened the package of U.K. Fuggle leaf hops and they looked almost light to tan green. The smell was not like the pellets and was almost caramel or something. These have been frozen and recently bought. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20120412_164320.jpg

I have no idea if they are any good but I wouldnt use them just based on appearance.

Use them you recently bought them.They are not pellots.Smelling them in the bag is not the same as out of the bottle im finding.Im suspisious of a few that smell buttery though but i just sampled one a bit young and its not like it smelled before the boil or dryhopp.

edecambra said:
Do they smell like parmesan?

No not really...more buttery, caramel, not too fresh smelling. They were not as vibrant as the cascade leafs and not as bright green either. Like I said they were more light or pale green starting to get tan...I am assuming they are old just off of color. I did use 1oz. and threw the other away. Didn't want to risk throwing old hops in.

Pugs13 said:
I did use 1oz. and threw the other away.

Hmm...so problem solved I guess. Why bother asking if they are still good if you are just going to throw them out? Many hop cones lose the bright green color when maturing. When the top cones are left on the bine waiting for the lower cones to mature they often become over mature. Other conditions could have been a factor in the cone browning like drought or high heat.

jotakah said:
my two cents: once they turn brown, don't use em

That's what I figured...but its nice to get opinions and input. Thanks again everyone.

Back