Can you solder with propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
I usually use mapp gas to solder, but my father inlaw gave me a torch tip that he said he always uses on those little green propane tanks. I checked it when I got home, it does fit. Is this save? Will it work for me? I want to solder an elbow on my wort chiller so the tubing does not kink anymore.

Propane is not quite as hot as mapp gas but you should be good up to about 3/4" or maybe 1" with propane depending on the torch it's self. As far as I know most torches like that will work with propane or mapp gas either one.

I use both with the same tip. No problems so far. MAPP gas is hotter and works better for large fittings. I used it for all the stainless soldering I did.

I have been wondering just what mapp gas is for a while and your post motivated me to check it out. According to Wiki MAPP gas is a blend of LP and Methylacetylene and at one time was used for under water cutting because of the higher pressure that it can withstand as apposed to acetylene.

I know several people who use MAPP gas with "propane" torch heads without issue. As other posters have indicated MAPP gas burns hotter. I think you should be fine using MAPP gas with the torch head your father-in-law gave you

Propane is not quite as hot as mapp gas but you should be good up to about 3/4" or maybe 1" with propane depending on the torch it's self. As far as I know most torches like that will work with propane or mapp gas either one.

Want2Brew is exactly right. Propane is fine for smaller copper pipe. 1" and above better use Mapp.

Mapp can be quicker when you use it for smaller copper just have to be careful about heat transfer to gaskets or valve washers.

Be careful what "tip" you use. Not all are rated for MAPP and Propane. I only use mapp on larger size copper, or if I can not get all of the water out of the line.
Works great when you are in a crawl space for half the day replacing a water pressure tank, and when you are done, there is a little pin hole in one of the connections. Rather then draining the system, the MAPP gas works... Not that it happened to me...

I only use mapp on larger size copper, or if I can not get all of the water out of the line.

I don't want to thread-jack but I learned a neat trick from a plumber friend. If you have a copper line you need to solder and it just seems to keep dripping water - take some bread, plain white is best, ball it up and push it up in the line that is dripping. It will stop the water flow for long enough to solder it. When you turn on the pressure it will disintegrate. I've used this trick many times.

I don't want to thread-jack but I learned a neat trick from a plumber friend. If you have a copper line you need to solder and it just seems to keep dripping water - take some bread, plain white is best, ball it up and push it up in the line that is dripping. It will stop the water flow for long enough to solder it. When you turn on the pressure it will disintegrate. I've used this trick many times.

They also sell a commercial tool that are just little water filled gel balls. Holds the water back (what teh bread is doing) then when you done you run your torch over the area to melt the gel ball and it's just filled with a water solution.

They also sell a commercial tool that are just little water filled gel balls. Holds the water back (what teh bread is doing) then when you done you run your torch over the area to melt the gel ball and it's just filled with a water solution.

I've seen those in the store but never used them. I didn't they were water filled and you melted them with the torch. I just assumed they dissolved when you turned on the water like bread does. I have to give those a try.

Mapp gas is way easier to solder with. for half inch fittings you just touch the torch to the fitting for three seconds, move the flame to teh back of the elbow, and apply a little solder.

I've tried it both ways, and i won't use propane again.

Seriously it doesn't matter. Mapp and propane are rather close in combustion temps when used with air.

Where do these random misconceptions come from lol?

Seriously it doesn't matter. Mapp and propane are rather close in combustion temps when used with air.

Where do these random misconceptions come from lol?

Sorry, but I disagree. First time I even heard of Mapp was when I was trying to solder an 1.5 in. copper fitting. Couldn't get it done with propane. Someone told me to use Mapp and wham-bam job done!

Just saying - from my experience, over the years, there is a difference.

No, no oxygen, just the Mapp.

I am just relating my real life experience with using propane and Mapp. I am not a plumber but my job has required me doing a fair amount of copper soldering over the years.

After looking at the links you provided I think the number that show Mapp gives you more heat is on your "resources" link on this line:

"Primary Combustion Heating Value (BTU/CuFt) 315 255 433"

This shows Mapp having a value of 433 compared to propane value of 255.

View this link:

http://www.elkrefrigerants.com/mapp-gas.html

Also notice that the vapor pressure of map gas is higher than propane. That would cause more gas to be pushed through the orifice of the torch per unit of time. More gas = more heat. Speaking form experience map gas is noticeable hotter than propane when burned through the same torch and always remember an internet search will never be a replacement for actual hands on experience. :mug:

Back