can you make a beer with no barley, using wheat and oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First beer I ever brewed was a 100% wheat beer and I made it according to the basic brewing guys video. I just finished malting 30# of wheat so I will be brewing their recipe again. The biggest reason I started with a 100% wheat beer is that wheat was the only grain I had on hand as I bought 500# of raw wheat from a local farmer. Every 3rd batch of beer I brew is the 100% wheat beer, I really enjoy the taste. The only problems I have had is incomplete conversion of the starches to sugars (iodine test) but my OG have always been between 1.048 and 1.052. I like the 100% wheat batches more than other hefeweisen I have brewed but I think its the hops that make that difference (Hallertau vs Saaz).

One good question is how to make the conversion of starches to sugars more complete in the wort. The basic recipe with malted wheat is:

rest @ 114 for 25
take out 40% decoction and bring to 157 for 20, boil for 20 then add back
bring to 147 for 20
bring to 158 for 30
then 168 for mashout <--- (iodine test black but hitting preboil OG)

remove grain and start 90 minute boil

Does the incomplete conversion even matter since the OG is attained? maybe a longer rest somewhere?

What viability did you get from the popcorn? Did most of it germinate or were a lot of the kernels duds?

All, or virtually all, of the kernels germinated by the time I called it done, but the degree of modification was clearly pretty variable.

All, or virtually all, of the kernels germinated by the time I called it done, but the degree of modification was clearly pretty variable.

Some other places on the internet were reporting low (30-40%) viability: your report gives me added hope for my own planned attempt at home malting popcorn. đź‘Ť

So in old times the beer was flat without any carbonation ?

No. Under the Reinheitsgebot, you can carbonate, but you can't do it by adding sugar that wasn't produced from malt. One way to do it would be by Krausening, i.e. adding a small amount of fermenting wort to the already fermented beer. Another way would be by adding Speise, i.e. unfermented wort, to the already fermented beer.

Woooooaaa so much marketing potential aiming at the vegan burger crowd! Think about it! Oat milk milk stout!
man i was just getting ready for bed at 2:30am.....and now i'm not sure after a laugh like that.....and it "may contain trace amounts of alcohol" right?

and if were talking oat beer, "beyond beer"....

i use a metal seive collandar, then go back an forty in the wind between buckets, maybe need to do smaller amounts each pass or find a netter way

Back