Can you guys post pics of infected brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Do you actually know your beer is infected, or is this your first batch and you're worried that you MIGHT be infected?

A lot of first time brewers confuse the normal ugly and stinky processes that occurs during fermentation with infection when it's not.

Well im not a new brewer but i have yet to, to my knowledge, had an infected beer. I am just paranoid half the time that something might be wrong because i have never seen a pic of an actual infected one.

PseudoChef said:
But, that's not infected ;) I have one at home, too.

I know, it was a joke/well if you have a brett infection, it could look like this.

Whenever people talk of infections I like to link to landhoney. All of his beers are infected! :)

elkdog said:
That's nightmare fuel right there.

Yeah but it's rare, unless it is intentional...I believe that the second one I found is a Brett infection. I don't know much about souring beers though, I guess Landhoney is the expert. I tried following a thread about it once, but it made little sense to me...

The first one was some idiot who used plastic wrap over his fermenter instead of a lid and airlock :confused: Bet he won't be making that mistake again.

I would like pics as well. I'll post pics of my first (pretty sure) infection tonight. Cream Ale. Nice tan cream color with a 1 inch black layer on top....

z987k said:
Whenever people talk of infections I like to link to landhoney. All of his beers are infected! :)

I'd argue, but I don't have a leg to stand on, 9-1/2 of the 10 beers I have in carboys right now are 'infected' with Brett/etc. The 1/2 is the biere de garde that only half is going to Brett'ed at bottling. Next in line is a non-sour belgian though, I want something with some body.

landhoney said:
9-1/2 of the 10 beers I have in carboys right now are 'infected' with Brett/etc.

i only wish i met you before i moved to texas. i love sours and spent the past 5 years living in various parts of palm beach county, from boca to jupiter.

slim chillingsworth said:
i only wish i met you before i moved to texas. i love sours and spent the past 5 years living in various parts of palm beach county, from boca to jupiter.

I just moved back in February, after living in Maryland for two years, before that I didn't homebrew( who was I then ;) )

landhoney said:
I'd argue, but I don't have a leg to stand on, 9-1/2 of the 10 beers I have in carboys right now are 'infected' with Brett/etc. The 1/2 is the biere de garde that only half is going to Brett'ed at bottling. Next in line is a non-sour belgian though, I want something with some body.
and I love it.
I might get the nerve to "infect" one of my beers one of these days. I'm just crazy worried that I'll get a brett infection elsewhere also.

Back