Can you add priming sugar to the main fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmisko

Reaction score
Just brewed our first batch of beer a few weeks ago. We have a large plastic bucket with a spigot that we left the beer in to ferment. We also have a large glass carboy. We want to know if we can add the priming sugar into the first bucket (that we brewed in) so that we don't have to siphon the beer into the glass carboy then back in to the bucket with the spigot for bottling. Any tips or suggestions for first time home brewers would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, you did it backwards, you need to rack that beer off the trub before you bottle. Next time ferment in the carboy and then rack to the bottling bucket.

Just brewed our first batch of beer a few weeks ago. We have a large plastic bucket with a spigot that we left the beer in to ferment. We also have a large glass carboy. We want to know if we can add the priming sugar into the first bucket (that we brewed in) so that we don't have to siphon the beer into the glass carboy then back in to the bucket with the spigot for bottling. Any tips or suggestions for first time home brewers would be greatly appreciated!

My guess would me no as you want to get the sugar to mix w/the flat beer in your fermenter, but you don't want to disturb the trub at the bottom. Get another bucket to ferment in next time and save the bottling bucket to bottle.

You can add the sugar solution to the fermenter, but you'll get a whole bunch of yeast trub in the bottles. Yuk.

In your situation, carefully rack to the carboy, clean/sanitize the bottling bucket and rack back to that for priming/bottling.

Thanks for the help everyone!! We are going to attempt to bottle today! We will see how it goes.

Hah, I have bottled only twice now and have also done it over an open dishwasher. Good tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back