Can washed Notty and US-05 be successfully used in the same brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottled two different brews last week and decided to try washing the yeast cakes and store them in mason jars. After washing separate batches of Notty and US-05 I ended up with an extra 1/2 jar of each that I wanted to see how much yeast would fall out when chilled compared to a full mason jar. My wife decided that having two 1/2 full jars of washed yeast was taking up too much space in the beer fridge and poured them into one single jar. So I am wondering if this would be worth using (and if so can anyone suggest a style to brew) or should I just throw it out?

I also need to add that there are no LHBS within 90 minutes of me that carry good quality yeast that I can rely on. A few liqour stores carry kits and some very basic ingredients but the yeast packets are often pretty old and are not stored in a cool place. I am currently out of both of these dry yeasts and I am not ready to just reorder these from an online place yet which is why I tried washing them. Both yeast were from pale ale or house ale recipes.

Why not, they are almost the same anyway. And why not reuse yeast even dry, if you cant get them, its perfectly fine if you know how to do it.Its a matter of convenience really.

OK...I am still learning about many of the characteristics of yeast and now I know that these two are interchangable.

I might do a 12 gallon batch with just Notty for 4 gallons, just 05 for 4 gallons and combined for 4 gallons.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Jonmohno, what part of iowa are you from and do you have any good LHBS near you?

That would be a nice experiment really, my 3rd beer which was a pumpkin i used 2 dry yeast whitbread wheat and 04 maybe o5? i think. It was interesting but best over a long period. But a pumpkin with wheat that was differnt.
If you can make it to the Quad cities there is one in Bettendorf in the Village of east davenport Mcclellan cellars i think it is, which has somewhat of a limited supply but is currently selling liquid yeast and has some bulk grains along with some 1# variation of grains. They also have some basic supplies.
I usually buy organic and i actually bought a 50# bag of organic GW 2 row cheaper in Cali, than i would around here as far as shipping, so i generally buy orgainc.+ hops.
If you go there ask for the Hopunion hops they are 2011 fresher.When i asked she looked like wtf are you asking that? I want fresh not old ass hops like they may have.
Ive been buying 05 since notty upt their price which im not shure if its really any better than o5 anyway.I think and not saying this certainly but i would use 05 over notty maybe anyway. To me its a matter of price and i may slightly like o5 more anyway, i dont really know. Ive been using liquid and trying to reuse it and am really liking it now for the first time.Just from a wlp005 british liquid yeast. Im also trying to reuse it in future batches

Back