Can u put a 2 gal brew in a 5 gal pail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and want to experiment with a few things, so I want to do some 2 gal batches rather than maybe wasting a 5 gal batch. So would there be any issues if I put a 2 gal brew in a 5 gal pail?. I only have 5 gal brew pails. Thx

you can definitely do it. 3 gallon pails are only like 10-15$ form midwest or NB. The only concern I'd have is contamination with all of that oxygen in the bucket, esp right after boil when your wort is most vulnerable. But if your ferment starts quickly then i dont think you should have a huge problem. try it, it's just a 2 gal batch :)

They have 3 gallon pails? Are you shure I think its 2,otherwise Im getting one,I cant find 3 gallon pails anywhere and thats what I need for a bottleing bucket now. I had a 2 gallon bottleing bucket(converted) from Home depot but busted it,now Im doing 2.5 gallon batches and need a new bottleing bucket. Those 2 gallon buckets,you can only make about 1.6 gallons with. I just 1/3- 5 gallon batches to make those with a 2 gallon fermenter. Youd probably be ok fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket maybe, but if you do do that I would maybe secondary to a new 2 gallon bucket after fermentation.
They also have 3 gallon carboys which is what Im using doing 2.5 gal batches. Alot of times you can find stuff even target has various glass jars which you could modify. But sometimes comparing prices,its not really a good deal anyway,sometimes you can be surprised what can be used. Im thinking about using a pressure cooker,maybe so I can use something safer/easier to clean.

I do 2 1/2 gallon batches regularly and use my 6 1/2 gallon fermenter buckets with no issues. Good sanitation is what you need. Then I use my 6 1/2 gallon bottling bucket and bottle them up. You're good to go.:mug:

Back