Can kegged stout be served with Co2 only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can I serve stout from a corny keg and picnic tap using Co2, or should I just bottle? I would like to brew an Oatmeal Stout and a porter, but don't have a beer/gas setup or stout faucet yet.

So the primary purpose of the nitrogen is to allow for higher serving pressure.

What does the barley do to allow for the denser head?

So the primary purpose of the nitrogen is to allow for higher serving pressure.

What does the barley do to allow for the denser head?

Nitro does give nice smooth pours, and a creamy finish on the beer- so it's very nice. But it's not necessary.

Flaked barley is a great ingredient for stouts and porters- it gives great body and head retention to beer. It's very commonly used.

Thanks for the input! I'm just getting started kegging and wanted to know if I could serve a stout with the basic Co2 setup. At what pressure do you serve your stout, and do you force carb it?

i also serve up a stout with only co2, and use flaked barley for head retention. mine is set at 40 degrees, 7 ft line, 11-12 psi, force-carbed. it was great with a tan, creamy, tight-bubbled head. keg just kicked 2 days ago, and i was sad to see it go, but i have more aging in the bourbon-barrel :D

I've just about decided instead of an oatmeal stout, to make my first stout with flaked barley. Sounds like you guys have had great success with flaked barley in the recipe. I have a Scotch ale and a Kolsch planned for my next 2 brews. Then I think I'll give the stout with flaked barley a try. Thanks for all your help and comments!

Nitro definitely won't carb beer.

Carb = carbonate = dissolved CO2

But nitrogen will dissolve in your beer as well and will give you much smaller bubbles and a smoother mouthfeel.

A lot of bottled stouts are carbonated with no nitrogen added. You'll get similar results just using CO2 when kegging.

Back