Can it be saved?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natarch519

Reaction score
Well, I just pulled a newbie move. I had the bright idea to filter my secondary into my bottling bucket with a coffee filter.

Totally didn't think about the whole needing yeast to carbonate.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is it possible to add yeast to a batch that's already had the priming sugar added?

I know what everyone reading this is saying. Time, patience and more time will result in clearer beer. I know.....I just get too damn anxious!!

Yeast are microscopic so they'll go right through a coffee filter. That's the good news.

The bad news is that oxygen is the death of beer, and it should absolutely be avoided once fermentation slows down. That means that oxygen can bind with beer and ruin it. We take great pains to avoid that- by "quietly" siphoning beer and avoiding any chance of splashing.

So, the beer will carbonate. But drink it quickly, as it will start to taste oxidized sooner rather than later.

Back