Can I use this as a fermenting vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use it? Yes. Should you use it? I don't know.

I'd be worried about the plastics it's made from. Grit bins are built to hold road salt. I'd be worried that they aren't food grade plastic and might leach PCB's into your beer. You will also have to drill the lid for a blowoff tube/bubble lock and i'd prefer that it has a gasket so it'll seal properly when you close the lid (risk of infection).

Length 750mm - (2.45 ft)
Width 490mm - (1.6 ft)
Height 890mm - (2.9 ft)
Capacity 200 Litres - (52 Gallons!)

This (or something like it) is large and very heavy when full. You will need the area, support, and equipment to handle that weight and volume. If I were moving to these volumes, I would consider some thing like this plastic drum or this stainless one.

Good Luck.

Looks good, but I would check with the seller and see if there are any drums that are unpainted on the inside.If they are painted or coated, a little research might be needed to see if the coating is safe for fermentation. However, I would search until I found a drum with a clean, bare interior. A bare stainless drum wall will be safer and easier to clean.

Good Luck.

Fruit topping buckets from local ice cream shops would also work just fine. They come in 10 gallon sizes and they basically just throw them away when they don't need them.

I hear people use plastic bins and such, but was wondering how people dealt with sealing them tightly - and if people put taps in?

Unless you're using a pressure barrel type fermenting (which we don't have in the states) our fermenters are NOT air tight. You really don't want them air tight or else they tend to blow up. Some folks purposefully don't even snaps lids down, and even use a piece of plexiglass on top of their buckets. Nasty stuff can't really get in, especially with co2 pushing out.

As to taps, only a scant minority of Western homebrewers have taps on their fermenters. The majority whether they use carboys or buckets actually don't.

Taps on fermenters tend again to be something from the UK in pressure barrel fermeters.

Obviously if it's something you want and the plastic of the fermenter can be cut or drilled to accomodate them, then install them. But I personally don't see a use for spigots on fermenters except for a possible harbringer of bacteria.

Back