Can I use these for beer bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4arrows

Reaction score
http://www.mountainvalleyspring.com/products/1-liter/

I acquired 6 of these bottles the other day from a neighbor friend of ours and thought I may be able to use them for bottling beer in. I was not sure though seeing as I am new to brewing and was not sure about the metal screw on cap. I know that green is not as desirable a color as brown, but I am just looking to use if I am short on brown 12oz bottles come bottling day.

Any Ideas or experiences with bottles like these that y'all can help me out with?

4>---->

I'm not sure I would go that route personally. I don't know much about them but only holding water I don't know how well they would handle the carbonation. Plus the green and screw tops. I've only ever used bottles that previously held beer. If you do run out of bottles just go to the store and buy a six pack and drink them and then re use them!

Just my 2 cents!

These bottles held water previously, and may not be rated for carbonation. Green glass will also lead to skunking of your beer. I would not use these for carbonating beer.

Don't use them. The screw on cap won't hold carbonation. They might work if you capped them with a bottle capper but would still be iffy as screw tops are made of thinner glass.

Buy your favorite beer with pry-off caps and save the bottles. Just make sure you wash them out after drinking so they don't grow nasty, gross stuff in them.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess I need to drink a bunch of craft beer to have enough bottles. Lol

You can also use smaller soda bottles if you are hard-up for bottles. For me the main motivation for getting a bench vs. wing capper was that I knew I wouldn't find a whole lot of pop-top bottles but had family with like 10 cases of twist offs they wanted rid of, if you've got friends who like beer that come in twist-offs it may be worth the extra cash for the capper.

Latest posts

Back