Can I still use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtau

Reaction score
I order a couple of all-grain beer kits from Northern Brewer. I live in southern TN (Winchester). It obviously took several days to get them in (ordered Monday night and received on Saturday afternoon). I only ordered one ice pack with the kits for the yeast. Yeast packets were packaged separately in the big FedEx box with the one ice pack. The two yeast packets were Wyeast 1056 American Ale, and Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. When I took them out, the ice pack was obviously completely melted (alot smaller than I thought it was going to be) and the packs were somewhat swelled already. For the American Ale II, I can still feel the inner pack inside (not "activated") and the inner pack is REALLY swelled. I can't tell if the 1056 has "activated" or not, although it is somewhat swell.

I'm hoping they are "swelled" because they packs got too warm but my question is, are these too bad to use now. Looks like I've learned my lesson with ordering liquid yeast packs (last time the yeast was frozen) but I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the nearest homebrew store that sells liquid yeast.

Make a starter and you'll know for sure. That is the answer to anything about liquid yeast....age of yeast, condition of yeast, whether a pack is smacked or not.

Latest posts

Back