Can I realistically get 14% out of wlp090?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Wanting to brew a big ipa with an OG of 1.120 and FG 1.015 so an abv of 14.1%. The abv tolerance for that yeast is up to 15%. However the max attenuation is 83 %and with my gravity numbers that is 86%. I plan on mashing low 148-149. Obviously a big starter. Yeast nutrients in the boil. Pure O2 at pitch and again 6 hours later. Corn sugar added after high krausen and slowly raising temps as fermentation slows. In theory it sounds like it should work out for me. It is my first "big" beer. My only concern is the fact that I would need higher attenuation than what is listed but at the same time it says it can handle 15%. What do you guys think?

I think it will get there. If it doesnt, finishing at 1.020 isnt tragic. (1.032 would be). You need a ton of yeast. Id brew a 1.045 blonde or something, the week before and use it as one giant starter and pitch the recommended amount of harvested slurry or more. Id also mash low and long. Possibly a few degrees lower.

I have questions if a 14% IPA is a good idea, but hey, the question is weather it is possible to ferment. I think so.

Going for somewhat of a dogfish head 120min beer. I'm also only doing a 3G batch so if it sucks no biggie.

I have questions if a 14% IPA is a good idea,...

Why not?

Belzebuth is a 13% Pale Ale and I think it is a decent beer.

Given the amount of time a beer this large needs to mellow out, I doubt any IPA (hop forward) character will remain unless you randall to get some hop fresheness back into the product.

However the max attenuation is 83 %

Those numbers are typical AAs for typical worts. It's easy to get more or less than the posted numbers with the right wort production control. Looking at your plan, I think you have the right idea: mash low, use simple sugars if need be, plus you can consider concentrated wort or sugar additions as it's actively fermenting.

The apparent attenuation listed as a yeast specification is the attenuation after a set amount of time. Generally 6 or 10 days. It's a combination of fermentation rate and the final gravity. When comparing brewing yeasts final attenuation there are really two categories. Those that can ferment maltotrios and those that can't. The yeast that ring in at 80% or higher generally can ferment maltotrios, and lower generally can't.

You might want to pitch with a yeast that attenuates well to get though the maltotrios and then pitch the high gravity yeast when fermentation slows.

And as you know, mash low and long.

I used WLP007 in what was supposed to be an imperial pumpkin ale & it went from 1.125 to 1.008

An additional aeration 24 hours after pitch, a 2nd pitch with nutrients a couple days later, plus 2 feedings of cane sugar 2 days later & a couple days apart

Wish I hadn't done that 2nd feeding, because it was sitting exactly where I wanted it to be 1.018 before I did.

So, it's a Barleywine & almost 2 years later, it's only now mellowed out, but too dry

One other question. I plan to bottle condition this beer. Will the yeast be to pooped out to carb it? Should I add yeast when I bottle?

I bottled mine with CBC-1, rehydrated it, mixed it in with the priming solution at bottling.

worked great. not sure if it would have carbed without it.

didn't see a downside to using it, so $5 for a pack, why not?

Back