Can I re-use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthin_original

Reaction score
Tha bottom of my secondary fermentor from a batch of dry irish stout. I'm a bit worried, if it is actually useable, that the light might have messed with the yeast... thanks a bunch! Homebrewing Rocks!
P1030103.jpg

Yes, you can, but most people re-use yeast from the primary instead.

Ah, missed that! I wouldn't recommend using the yeast from the secondary but it's possible. The yeast in the secondary tends to be the most stressed, least flocculant yeast and it's generally not re-used. Still, you could give it a try and use the yeast from the primary next time.

That's a lot of yeast- I'm surprised it's from the secondary!

thanks, a bunch!

Ah, missed that! I wouldn't recommend using the yeast from the secondary but it's possible. The yeast in the secondary tends to be the most stressed, least flocculant yeast and it's generally not re-used. Still, you could give it a try and use the yeast from the primary next time.

That's a lot of yeast- I'm surprised it's from the secondary!

Yes, you can, but most people re-use yeast from the primary instead.
It's not been my practice, but I thought I read somewhere that the yeast cake from the secondary might be better because it cleaner (less break and other residue if you didn't dry hop.) Any truth to this?

i was also wondering about the effects of excessive exposure to light, as well as the presence of trub, in regards to off flavors in the next batch. I haven't quite mastered the art of eliminating the hot break from my wort, and the carboy & yeast had sat sealed with an airlock, but uncovered (exposed to daylight - no direct sunlight). I dont live near any homebrew suppliers, and due to the holidays, my next order of supplies still won't be arriving for a few days. I really wanted to get another batch going, but dont want to waste fermentor space with... you get the picture. Thanks again! happy homebrewing!

Latest posts

Back