Can I leave in primary for over a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wowzers

Reaction score
I got a nutbrown from northern brewer that hits the two week mark today. I planned on kegging it after a month, but I had a change of plans come up and will be going out of town for three weeks or more. Any negative consequences for leaving it in the primary for over a month?

No problems. My Burton ale,a strong ale,stayed in primary for 5 weeks. Should be fine,since mine carbed up well without additional yeast.

From everything I have read you a fairly safe up to 6 months. Not that I would primary that long. I am leaving my Belgian for as long as I can stand it up to 2 months though. Hope I can hold out.

And what exactly is the point of leaving it for that long? I'd rather bottle condition it longer then let it sit in primary. Is there a difference in how long u let it sit?

Well,big beers,for instance,def take longer to ferment out to FG. My Burton ale took a while to knock off the last few points. Not to mention the 3-7 day period to let it settle out clear or slightly misty.
Or in his case,he has to be out of town for a few weeks,so it's gunna sit longer till it finishes & clears,& he comes back. Win-win in my view.

Personally, I would transfer it to a secondary or keg it and cold condition it for the time you are away. But I wouldn't suspect you would have any significant negative consequences just leaving it in the primary.

Personally, I would transfer it to a secondary or keg it and cold condition it for the time you are away. But I wouldn't suspect you would have any significant negative consequences just leaving it in the primary.

I agree. I prefer to package by about week two for regular ales but no harm will come to leaving it longer. I can usually detect a slightly greater yeast character when I taste a beer left longer in primary, but many people actually seem to prefer that.

In this particular case, life got too busy for a bit, and then my kegerator died. I wouldn't normally leave a beer in primary for that long, but there were no detectable ill effects as far as I can tell, aside from the need to dry hop again. I use Better Bottles by the way. Results might be different if you primary in plastic buckets.

Well,I've had beers in plastic fermenters &/or buckets for 6 or 7 weeks tops. They came out fine with no oxidation or anything. But months,idk...

The caveat is that you have enough control over your temps to keep it from getting over 70*F.

Maybe this goes with out saying, but I got busy and let a couple of primaries go over the summer where it got up into the 80's a few times. When I finally bottled there was definitely strange taste, in fact one friend called it "Rotten Pork Beer" :drunk: no one else had that experience, but regardless it was not good.

As long as your temps are stable and in the 60's it will be fine.

I leave my beer in the primary for 4 weeks - minimum. If something comes up, and I can't rack to the kegs, I leave it. My barleywine from last year sat in the fermenter for 7 months, and it won a big award. So, RDWHAHB, and keg/bottle when you get a chance.

BTW, if you're going to go more than a couple months, don't use plastic.

ok try filling couple bottles and leave it in the fridge (i hope ur fridge stays on) and then yo can compare both when you return :fro:

Due to my work, i am home for a month and away for a month so about half my brews stay in the bucket 4 to 5 weeks and they are always my best, clear crisp clean YUM YUM

I agree. My beers that stayed in primary that long were bigger &/or darker. They came out exceptionally good. But lighter ales,like pales that are normal mid gravity loose a little hop profile ime.

Back