Can I "Hot" wire a Freezer Compressor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixgun2764

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've picked up a new Kenmore Elite chest freezer to convert into a Keezer. It has digital controls that I would like to completely bypass. As I look at the compressor I see only two terminals. One must be the HOT and the other is the common(Neutral). Would it be possible to wire directly to the compressor, black to hot(Yellow wire) and neutral to common(White wire) and use a wired temperature controller to turn the compressor to control the cooling? I'll attach some pictures. Thanks :mug:

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Do you mean direct wire the temp controller? If so, yes, you can.

Here's what I used when I did mine:
wiring-diagram.jpg

make sure your temp controller has a compressor delay built in like an STC-1000 does.

Thanks for the replies.I have a single stage prewired Ranco 111000 that I was going to use on the Keezer. The package insert doesn't specifically state that it has a compressor delay but its intended use is for commercial heating and cooling. Anyone know for sure if it has a compressor delay?

Thanks
Sixgun

Im pretty sure that controller doesnt have a compressor time delay... it does have differential adjustment though and as long as you keep a wide differential it shouldnt short cycle. There are also adjustable time delay devices that are fairly inexpensive.

1413650184164.jpg

Yes you can, as said above make sure it has a delay for restarting the compressor so the system pressures can balance. Verify you have 120v to the comp. Some newer units are using an inverter to switch to DC for efficiency. The yellow and white wires plug into the compressor relay so make sure your hooking up to where those wires hook and your not removing the relay/overload assm. I'd just splice the yellow/white wires into your harness so you can use the molex plug.

None of the Ranco units (single or dual stage) have a true anti-short-cycle function, so good probe coupling and a reasonable differential are things to consider. Considering the best price for an ETC-11100 versus the prevailing price of alternatives such as the STC-1000, or an MH1210 single-stage controller (perfectly fine for a dispensing system) that provide an ASC function for a hella lot less money, I'd be inclined to recommend those alternatives...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back