Can I carbonate any fluid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Received my starter keg kit the other day, and I have, for some reason, had a pressing question on my mind since. Hypothetically speaking, what can be carbonated?

Obviously I could make some delicious sparkling water. Maybe recarbonate that half full can of Mountain Dew that's been sitting on my coffee table for the past two weeks.

How about carbonated motor oil? Last weeks Chili con Carne? Are there any limitations as to what could be carbonated?

Have you ever had Fizzy Fruit? The grapes are the best, they kinda pop in your mouth, and the pineapple is just loaded with fizziness. It's fruit that has been carbonated, they pack it in pressurized cans kinda like small tennis ball cans, but it is definitely carbonated fruit. I bet motor oil and chili would work.

Get you a "Carbonator Cap". It will screw onto a 2 liter soda bottle, and you attach it to the gas tap on your CO2 bottle (it is shaped like a gas post on a cornie).

I use it to force carb beer in 2 liter bottles (you can sample the day you keg, without shaking the keg).

My sons make soda with it.

4537.jpg

Carbonating completely unexpected things (ketchup? BBQ sauce? salsa?), shaking them, and putting them in the fridge for SWMBO to open sounds like an exercise in hilarity, if you like to mop (and sleep in the garage for a few days).

I might have to try that out...

(Safety blah blah exploding bottles blah blah all fun and games until someone loses an eye blah blah we're what you call "professionals" blah blah blah)

does anyone have any issues with this carbonator cap. Everytime I use mine I can hear a leak while the QD gas is on . Like its not making a good seal on Cap post oring with QD. AHS sent me another one, Red this time, but I can still hear it. I know your not supposed to leave it hooked up, but you could if you wanted to. And if I shake it like it says I am supposed to i get fluid leakage. Again this is only when I have QD attached. I have tried 3 different Gas QD and I have also replaced the oring on carbonator cap and applied keg lube. Any ideas? Anyone have same issues?

I have a blue one; I can't here it, but I do have some liquid leaking when I disconnect it at first... Still does the job! The one thing I've noticed is I thing the spring is kind of weak- every now and then when I disconnect the gas, you can here it leaking- fudge with it a little and it stops.

Well I have isoltated it to between QD and Carbonator post. I turn it upside down, it doesnt leak from seal on bottle. It seems the post or oring is small. I wonder if I can get some thicker o-rings.

You can carbonate some gasoline and turn your corny into a flame thrower!! :rockin:

I would recommend that you use a stout faucet (SS Shank too). A party tap would melt.

stout-faucet.jpg

and one of these two long handles....

large-taphandles-cropped.jpg

Better yet use this...

beergun.jpg

Well I have isoltated it to between QD and Carbonator post. I turn it upside down, it doesnt leak from seal on bottle. It seems the post or oring is small. I wonder if I can get some thicker o-rings.

I got my first carbonator cap a couple weeks ago and I noticed the same thing. I have a bunch of o-rings from mcmaster carr, so next time I use the carbonator cap, I'm going to try replacing the o-ring to see if the leaks stops.

I had a party last night and used a keg of star san that I had sitting around to rinse out glasses. It had been sitting for a while under slight pressure, so the star san was carbonated. Carbonated star san it a lot foamier than the regular.

Latest posts

Back