Can I brew with something other than water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakey_99

Reaction score
Just thinking about the next batch and am wondering if I can brew with maybe 5 gallons of apple cider instead of water? or will it just be a 5 gallon bucket of yuck.

Maybe a stout or a porter

Thanks

If you ferment apple cider by itself you end up with hard cider or apfelwein. If you add malted barley to the mix, it might indeed end up as yuck! If you really want to experiment try making a one gallon batch instead of 5. Don't forget to count the sugar in the cider with your fermentables...

You can straight up ferment apple cider or juice. But do you mean add hops and or grains to it and boil it? That could be yuck.

I believe I have seen recipes that begin with maple sap instead of water. of course, anything is going to ultimately have water in it.

....Or it could be called graf (look it up.)

There's a pretty famous thread on here of a brew club using BMC to brew with. They used it as their mash and sparge "water."

I've done a version of my Chocolate Mole Porter, where I mashed my grain with instant Mexican hot coco.

McGarnigle said:
You can straight up ferment apple cider or juice. But do you mean add hops and or grains to it and boil it? That could be yuck.

I believe I have seen recipes that begin with maple sap instead of water. of course, anything is going to ultimately have water in it.

Yes sir, just make a batch of beer with 100% cider instead of water.. From steeping grains to adding hops. Im really curious of peoples opinions on this.

Ive read boiling with fruit or extract diminishes the flavor of the fruit or extract. And the sugar content would be massive for fermentation( apple cider,lme,dme,ect) i think. I was thinking of using a darker beer to try and hide some of the acidity of the cider.

Thoughts?

I've done a version of my Chocolate Mole Porter, where I mashed my grain with instant Mexican hot coco.

This sounds interesting! I've been considering a chocolate mole brew of some kind... How does the Mexican coco flavor come across in the beer as compared to just cocoa nibs or powder?

Revvy said:

There's a pretty famous thread on here of a brew club using BMC to brew with. They used it as their mash and sparge "water."

Thanks Revvy, I will do that

A guy in my brew club did a beer with maple sap in place of strike and sparge water - came out very interesting, but also quite dry due to the extra fermentables in the sap...

Revvy said:

Thanks Revvy! I did some research on Graff and it does seem possible. I started this hobby because a friend of mine gave me some bourbon barrel porter and I was hooked because it was so different and delicious. So I have a lot of ideas to make something different and maybe a little bit out of the norm.

See this is why it's cool to hear from a new brewer. They know no boundaries yet so we get some out of the box ideas like this one. My brother doesn't cook too often but when he does ... he comes up with some interesting combinations and ideas. Some are good, some not so good.

I think it's a fine idea. Want to get an idea of what it would taste like? Make up an apfelwein (ideally using the same yeast you use for the beer which will vary the flavor than using something like a wine or champagne yeast) and brew up a beer using the same yeast and blend them when they're both done (do it in very small amounts when you taste so . This will give you an IDEA but of course the basics like hops and the intensities of each flavor will be off.

I had an apfelwein made with Motts that I wasn't too pleased with as well as a keg of PBR kicking around from a party. Gotta say, 50/50 they complimented each other quite well.

Look up Brandon O's graff recipe in the site, I have made it twice and been very happy with it. Has a smooth crisp flavor and is ready a lot quicker than apfelwein.

Slainte-brew said:
Look up Brandon O's graff recipe in the site, I have made it twice and been very happy with it. Has a smooth crisp flavor and is ready a lot quicker than apfelwein.

I have been reading this all morning on and off. Thank you.

I may not want to boil cider for the full 60 or so minutes from what I'm reading. Or maybe use apple juice instead.

crazyworld said:
See this is why it's cool to hear from a new brewer. They know no boundaries yet so we get some out of the box ideas like this one. My brother doesn't cook too often but when he does ... he comes up with some interesting combinations and ideas. Some are good, some not so good.

I think it's a fine idea. Want to get an idea of what it would taste like? Make up an apfelwein (ideally using the same yeast you use for the beer which will vary the flavor than using something like a wine or champagne yeast) and brew up a beer using the same yeast and blend them when they're both done (do it in very small amounts when you taste so . This will give you an IDEA but of course the basics like hops and the intensities of each flavor will be off.

I had an apfelwein made with Motts that I wasn't too pleased with as well as a keg of PBR kicking around from a party. Gotta say, 50/50 they complimented each other quite well.

Im actually considering doing this. Thank you.

WildOnions said:
do apple cider and maybe add wheat dme/lme, that could be interesting, or disgusting, 1 gallon batch

Using a wheat was the first choice I thought of actually. I bought a couple of pounds of light dme for my yeast starters ( made my first starter for my last batch- NB head scratcher, a hefe ipa)

Now my head is spinning lol

Latest posts

Back