Can I add more sugar to my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benar

Reaction score
I made a starter yesterday and after the fact realized that I had mistakenly used half the amount of DME that I was supposed to use.

Should I boil up some more DME and put it in?

Shake just the new batch of DME, prior to mixing it with the existing starter? Or after I put it in with the existing starter?

I've been told in the past to not agitate wort with yeast in it, so I just wanted to make sure.

Shake just the new batch of DME, prior to mixing it with the existing starter? Or after I put it in with the existing starter?

I've been told in the past to not agitate wort with yeast in it, so I just wanted to make sure.

Shake the crap out of it. I make a starter for every beer I brew and everytime I walk by I sanitize my hands, take the airlock off and shake the crap out of it.

You want to keep the yeast in suspension as long as possible and give them all the O2 and nutrients they need to make as much yeast as possible.

You are making yeast not beer! No worries about oxidation etc..etc... You know you are doing it right when you starters start to get really milky and thick....lot's of happy yeast!

Back