Can I add anything to my finished kit cider to add flavour???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've finished my cider kit but wondered if I can add anything at this stage to add to the flavour??? It's a mixed berry one so was thinking a pure juice??? Anyone know if this would be OK/would it work???

yes you can but I believe if it's not concentrated, it may not impart the flavour you hoped for. Try some in a glass - just keep track of how much to get the flavour you want and see if the end product is doable in volume.

Yes you can add flavor. I personally stay away from adding juices. Couple of things you could do if not yet bottled:

- Add Spices 2 Whole Cinnamon sticks, 1 Sliced Vanilla Bean, 1 Whole Clove and 1 oz Medium Toast Oak chips for a week to 10 days work great with Cider. Place them in a sanitized mesh bag add a few marbles to sink it.
- Add additional whole fruit 1 - 2 pounds for each gallon. Fruit with small seeds, strawberries, blackberries etc 7 - 10 days. Fruit with no seeds Blueberries, Peaches (Pitted) etc. 15 - 20 days. Freeze and cut into small enough pieces to get them in your carboy or again place in a mesh bag and sink them.

Rack when flavor is where you would like it.

If bottled consider adding a drop or so of fruit flavor extract to each glass when poured. You will need to experiment with this as I have no experience but imagine it would work just fine.

Depending on the juice you add you will likely end up much drier than you are now, and some fruits when their sugars are all fermented out are just too tart to enjoy.When I do additions to my ciders I use 12oz bottles and add differing amounts off the trial flavor to each bottle as time will change the flavor and perceived tartness. OTOH, if you are planning on drinking your cider young, then dose it to taste and enjoy the fruits of your labor now.

This brand makes some good fruit purees that you can add to secondary.
They have:
Apricot
Blackberry
Blueberry
Cherry
Peach
Raspberry

You can also try dry-hopping. I was going to try dry-hopping a cider with more of a fruiter type hop like Amarilo or citra

450x450x6266a.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BethTi8LDe.jpg

citra hops work really well for hopping a cider. just do not add too much. about 5 hop pellets is all you need for a 1/2 gallon (growler).

I'd like to get some citra hops plants. Currently have a couple of nugget hops. Pretty potent.

Back