Can grain bill affect krausen formation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
active fermentation in the airlock at expected time but zero krausen and active fermentation is slowing after 5 days.

Small batch (3 gallon) with Maris Otter, Golden Naked Oats and flaked wheat.

Could lack of krausen be a function of the yeast? It's a wheat beer yeast from Southyeast Labs.

I'm not really worrying about it but I've never had a krausen-less beer. I'm actually more worried about it being drinkable since I goofed on the recipe and used too much of the naked oats.

Did you use Fermcap-S?

No Fermcap

I start fermentations in the low 60's and move slowly up as fermentation progresses. This seems to keep my krausen to an inch or so and allows me to fill the fermenter a little higher.

Depending on the style I usually move into the low 70's, saison's maybe higher.

Well water, fairly hard.
I have not had problems with head retention.

I do think this is a recipe issue. I put WAAAAY to much naked oats, like twice what I had planned, like 35% of the grain bill. 50% Maris and 15% flaked wheat

Different yeast act differently. Some build nice fluffy pillows, some form slimy low bubbles, some not much at all, etc. If you've never used this yeast before, just wait it out.

Different yeast act differently. Some build nice fluffy pillows, some form slimy low bubbles, some not much at all, etc. If you've never used this yeast before, just wait it out.

Thanks

I really think this is the case because I have no doubt about active fermentation occurring. It's just when I messed up the grains I figured it might have an effect too.

Back