Calypso Pearl English IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
So it's been a few months since I've posted. I am definitely not brewing any less (always more) but I miss the back and forth about recipes. And I got a week before I brew so let's hear some thoughts! :)

I wanted to make an easy drinking Calypso almost-single hop (not so traditional) English IPA with a fruity well attenuated English yeast strain like WLP007 or Mangrove Jack's British Ale Yeast, and I wanted the wonderful Pearl Malt to be the featured backbone.

Here's what I got:

8 lbs Pearl Malt
1/2 lb of Vienna and Aromatic each
.75 lbs Corn Sugar

1 oz Galena @ 60 min
2 oz Caypso @ 5 min
3 oz Calypso @ whirlpool (most IBUs from here)

2 oz Calypso Dry Hop 6 days
3 more ounces at 2 days

I got a lb of Calypso so I could always bump any up a bit, but that seems unlikely to be needed.

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.006
ABV: 6%
IBU: 70
SRM: 5.6

Mash at 148 for 75 min.

Ferment at 62, and slowly rise to 70 nearing end of fermentation.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Sounds like a good beer to me. Let us know how it turns out! Can't recall ever having a beer that featured either those hops or base malt.

I'd use Amber instead of Aromatic. What about MJ Burton Union? It fits your yeast description.

I've never used Amber Malt so I'll definitely look into it! :) I liked Burton Union in a couple beers I've made with it but didn't quite get any English character as much as I'd prefer.

Amber is toasty and sort of dry biscuit. It's typical in bitters, pale ales, IPAs with or instead of crystal malt.

I've dropped Crystal from all my IPAs years ago. If I use any adjunct malts, it's typically munich, victory, or melanoidin. I am a bigger fan of what they have to contribute. I've just always loved the smell of aromatic malt and had good sucess using it in a barleywine as well as a black tea and lemon ale and thought it might contribute well with the english character of this beer where the pearl may not.

Yeah, I don't use or buy crystal either. Amber malt does all I need for a good dry finishing ale of the pale families (plus simple sugars). I've heard of Victory malt which is a bit like Biscuit which is like a more pungent and cloying version of Amber malt.

It's peculiar how some malts are more (pungent) but somehow work better than more mild malts in some beers. Brewing is an art and obviously to each person's style.

Latest posts

Back