Cali Lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDoogles

Reaction score
I fermented with wyeast 2112 at 59 degrees. Last night after 9 days in the primary I racked it. Where it will be for about 5 weeks at 42 degrees in my fridge. This is only my second batch of beer ever. I made an all grain Irish red ale before this. So before I racked it I took a good deep whiff while it was still in the bucket. It physically hurt my nose. Like it burnt my nostrils. I read that Lager yeasts can leave some funky smells. Is this just what that was? I tasted it and it tasted like a flat Budweiser so I assume I'm OK.

I fermented with wyeast 2112 at 59 degrees. Last night after 9 days in the primary I racked it. Where it will be for about 5 weeks at 42 degrees in my fridge. This is only my second batch of beer ever. I made an all grain Irish red ale before this. So before I racked it I took a good deep whiff while it was still in the bucket. It physically hurt my nose. Like it burnt my nostrils. I read that Lager yeasts can leave some funky smells. Is this just what that was? I tasted it and it tasted like a flat Budweiser so I assume I'm OK.

You took a big whiff of co2 and that's why you felt that.
The same happened to me one time when I stuck my head into a bucket of ale and wow! Ouch!

Lagers are known to give or some sulfur (rotten egg) smells when young.

Sounds like all is well!:rockin:

Yeah, breathing a big ol blast of CO2 will do that! Nothing specific about that yeast.

I tasted it and it tasted like a flat Budweiser so I assume I'm OK.

Nothing good can come from FLAT BUDWEISER! Baahhhaaaaaaaa

Yep you inhaled Carbon Dioxide. That will teach ya. We have all done it...ONCE! :D

2nd batch and your doing a lager? An A/G Lager at that?... Good for you man! Keep us posted.

Cheers
Jay

Back