Cali common critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnipGreen

Reaction score
I'm planning a California common, but I need a little help balancing the crystal malts and a lower attenuating yeast.

Here's what I'm sort of planning for a six gallon batch:
9# 2 row
1# Munich light
3/4# 60 L crystal
1/10 roasted barley

A little northern brewer and liberty hops and wlp810

I'd really like this to finish around 1.013 my calculator gives my 1.016. For folks that make this style a lot, am I better served cutting the crystal and malting a little higher or keeping the crystal and malting a little lower to compensate?

This is my test run for a lager this winter. Last winter I underestimated how much a lower attenuating yeast will effect a recipe.

thanks!

Personally I like that recipe! I use 1# of crystal 60 and mash about 152°. The crystal and Munich malts should give you enough color that you could drop the roasted barley imo.

Brewed it today! I haven't made a cali common in a long time. I 'm looking forward..... although I wish I would have thought of this about two months ago. It's perfect weather for amber beers here.

Back