Calculating grain bill when using adjuncts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
Lets say I want to brew a stout that is 2.5% black patent malt. I'm going to add 1.5 lbs of brown sugar to end of the boil. In determining my grain bill, do I look at the 2.5% in relation to the other malts or the total fermentables?

Add all the malt, grain and adjuncts together. The 1.5 lb of brown sugar needs to be part of the list.

Are you adding the sugar - that's a freakin' LOT, by the by - to a recipe which already reads "Black Patent Malt - 2.5%"? That is to say, are you adding the sugar to an existing recipe which has 2.5% BPM as part of the grist? If so, your addition will screw up all the percentages.

Cheers,

Bob

Are you adding the sugar - that's a freakin' LOT, by the by - to a recipe which already reads "Black Patent Malt - 2.5%"? That is to say, are you adding the sugar to an existing recipe which has 2.5% BPM as part of the grist? If so, your addition will screw up all the percentages.

Cheers,

Bob

Yeah thats what I'm doing. I have a relatively small mash tun and it doesn't handle 20 pounds of grain well. So what I'm doing is taking out an amount of the 2-row and replacing it (in the boil kettle) with brown sugar to hit my OG. I'm basically wondering how I should adjust my grain bill with this sort of substitution.

Latest posts

Back