Caffrey's Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clone for Caffrey's? It's made a U.K. brewery (I thought it was Guniess buy after some googling it it looks like I might be wrong) and is not distributed in the U.S. I had a few pints in London about 5 years ago and boy is it delicious.

Anyone from across the pond (or anyone for that matter) have a recipe you'd be willing to share?

http://www.wanderingfools.com/archive/caffreys.htm

:mug:

Well, Google has returned dozens of hits giving links to other people asking the same question. ;)

Here's my question for you: Why? It's essentially a relatively insipid blond ale. It has the fortunate circumstance of being served on nitrogen.

Cheers,

Bob

Well, Google has returned dozens of hits giving links to other people asking the same question. ;)

Here's my question for you: Why? It's essentially a relatively insipid blond ale. It has the fortunate circumstance of being served on nitrogen.

Cheers,

Bob

I did a quick google for recipies and didn't find one - I'll have to dig deeper.
I had it when I was in London and found it to be light and refreshing. It's also a beer that I think my BMC drinking friends would enjoy. Since I can't get it in the U.S., I want to find a good clone recipe - plus, it gives me a chance to experiment carbing with nitrogen.

Fair enough! Forgive me for my perspective; I very seldom have friends coming over to drink my beer - it's just SWMBO and me - so I rarely take that into consideration.

Bob

You just want to look for a recipe for a standard red Irish ale.
Go for one that isn't to far from the base line and you'll have something you can work on.

I am trying to find a Caffrey's recipe. It is an Irish Cream Ale. I did find this online, does anyone know if this fits the bill?

Caffrey's Clone
English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter

Batch Size: 5.5g

Ingredients
9lb 11oz Pale Malt
7oz Crystal 60L
3oz Torrified Wheat
1.5oz Chocolate Malt
0.75oz Northern Brewer [9.70%] (60 min) 22.3 IBU
0.25oz Goldings [6.50%] (60 min) 4.7 IBU
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Beer Profile