Caffeine Content from Cacao Nibs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeflonTom

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question about my cacao nibs. A week ago I dry-nibbed about 3.5 gallons of a Porter with 8oz. of nibs, but I took them out after 4 days of soaking. I had some people over to try it, but got asked how much caffeine would be in the beer by the influence of cacao nibs. I didn't know, so I came here to ask. How much caffeine would be imparted to my beer with the influence of cacao nibs? The nibs used were from Northern Brewer if that helps with my question.

From what I can quickly find the caffeine concentration in cacao nibs is considered "low" at below ~0.4% by weight, with one example given of a teaspoon of 3 grams containing 10.4 milligrams of caffeine. That would be the maximum available to the beer, of course, and I suspect the extraction from "dry nibs" would be closer to 10% than 100%.

Having kept an imperial chocolate stout on tap for over a decade running of which a short pour is my nightcap drink of choice the caffeine can't compete with the 11.something percent alcohol, either ;)

Cheers!

Raw cacao also contains a percent or so of theobromine, another stimulant. As day trippr mentioned, the amount of caffeine extracted would likely be a fraction of the actual content of the nibs. Probably the same for other substances.

Plenty of brewers--hobbyists and professionals--brew with cacao nibs, with no ill effects. Don't sweat it.

Brew on!

Thanks for the help, gentlemen! I'll be more the wiser going forward and not have to worry about a late night beer keeping me, or my guests awake!

Back