Caffeine and Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
I just helped my brother brew a coffee stout kit. I was surpised by the amount of coffee grounds included. The directions said to to rouse the yeast "when ever you feel like it". The stuff looks delicious, but I was wondering when would be the right time to drink such stuff. Breakfast seems a little early and later in the evening might just cause sleeplessness if you know what I mean. I'm sure it is going to taste great but when the heck do you drink this stuff???

That's easy....when you wanna party! BTW, I've seen liquid caffeine. It's clear and tasteless. You could pretty much add it to anything...such as a barleywine. That'd make for some interesting stories!

I never really noticed a problem...course, I will drink coffee up to about an hour before bed with out a problem getting to sleep.

you could always sub it out for some decaf. I like a commercial coffee porter and have never really noticed the caffeine though.

Enjoy!

Or balance it with a higher alcohol content.... hah nothing like an upper with a downer. A friend recently brewed what I thought was an excellent coffee stout and I think I noticed the caffeine. I suppose drinking just those I might have been rockin and rollin a little longer than usual, eventually though the beer tiredness over ran the caffeine. I am also one who is not easily stimulated by caffeine. Coffee stouts seem to be an easy one for a lot of people to get into, a friends sister home from college tried one as her first 'real' beer and she seemed to love it.

I made a 5 gallon batch of espresso stout a while back and added 8 ozs of liquid(brewed) espresso to it. It tasted great but if I drank more than one I couldn't sleep.

However, I can't drink coffee after 3pm if I don't want it to affect my sleep.

Back